attaching a roof to my run....oy I'm so confused.

Haunted Chicken

Songster
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
Oregon
If your attaching a roof to a 4x4, does it need to sit on top of it to bear the weight correctly. Or can there be a board (facing?) on the front of the 4x4 bearing the weight? It seems that the weight would really be on a few nails that way. No?
hu.gif
I was hoping to avoid gaps that would need more hardware cloth.

I really thought I'd be better at this....HA! That's a good joke
roll.png
. I lay in bed and wonder how to attach the darn thing. I've been searching photo's of runs and roofs but I can't find any close ups on the actual connection of the roof and 4x4 posts.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
What type of material are you using to cover the run.. plywood and shakes or metal/plastic corigated (sp)..how much of it are you gonna cover.. where do you live ( lots of winter snow? ) do you just have 4x4's sticking up with wire wrapped around the run. And what's the size of the run.

Quote:
Thanks for responding - The roof will be plywood with shingles (asphalt?). The run is 12x15. We have a ton of shingles left from doing our house. I'm just out side of Portland Oregon, so not much snow. A few days a year at the most. I'm using three 4x4's on each side (corners and mid way-ish). I will frame in every 3' (width of my hardware cloth) with 2x4s. Hope I explained that OK
smile.png

Quote:
Thank you, I'll show this to my DH. Any chance of a peak under the eaves so I can see how it's attached?
fl.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
The run. The coop will go under it. It rains ALL the time here. They will be able to free range as well after we fill in the pool next spring, but for now I will have a section they can enjoy in the sun.

If your attaching a roof to a 4x4, does it need to sit on top of it to bear the weight correctly. Or can there be a board (facing?) on the front of the 4x4 bearing the weight?

You can do that, but to do it right you have to BOLT the board to the 4 X 4 with bolts that go all the way through.

There will be force exerted both down and outwardly, and the rafters will need "collar ties" and at least a couple of cross pieces (joists) to tie the side walls together and keep them from being pushed out of line.

You should also probably use at least a 2 X 6 for the rafters, and a 2 X 8 for the board on the outside.

You can notch the 4 X 4, 1 1/2" deep, times the width of your board to make it end up flush with the outside and it will be much stronger​

Last edited:
I had the same dilema I just ended up using 2x4's to cover the gaps rather than wire. You can go to my coop page to take a look...good luck!

Back
Top Bottom