Attaching Hardware Cloth / Fencing to Structure

I went with 1 1/4" decking screws and 1" fender washers. These will not be pulled out by dogs, raccoons, skunks, possums. I put them in with
a cheap electric screw gun. To stop digging I used concrete block beneath the floor plate.

Not sure I understand about the whole apron thing....My suggestion is go with your gut more protection is always better....if you feel they are safe because it is inside a perimeter fence already then go with that....but you do have a dirt floor so you may want to protect that and bury some type of wire a few inches down to discourage any digging predators...hope this helps

Okay, I don't think I can actually explain it any better with words, so I made a quick, poorly done, Paint reenactment.
smile.png

Coop itself is in black, red represents the outside perimeter of the run, blue denotes where we will be burying an apron for sure, and orange is where I am wondering if we should also add an apron. The run itself will be completely enclosed with hardware cloth, sides and top, but have a dirt floor. Does this help?

81556_coop-run.jpg

Yes that helps a lot ..... if it were me I would not put it in the orange area. Sorry I was confused with the explanation of the coup, however now with the drawing it makes perfect sence.

Oh, you're fine! No one seemed to understand, so it wasn't just you, it was just hard to figure out how to clearly explain.

Well now we all know. Thanks for the drawing I have been trying to picture this in my head for 2 days now. lol. Anyway I think you will be fine with not putting anything in the orange area as long as the run is attached to the coup you should be good.

Thanks! I'm glad the "drawing" helped, it was a lot easier than trying to explain, and I think it took less time, too, lol. With all my talk of wanting a pencil and paper, I don't know why I didn't think about it sooner.

Er, this may sound dumb, but... do you mean the way I drew it with, or without, the "orange" apron?

I originally used screws and fender washers but wanted to face the edges with trim. The screws and washers left too wide a gap so I pulled the screws and used 3/4” hot dipped galvanized poultry net staples. Looks like the trim will set almost flush.

Back
Top Bottom