Attaching Hardware cloth to Wood Frame

I also use the small U-shaped nails. I found that I could pull a piece of hardware cloth, that had been stapled with a staple gun, off with my bare hands. The staples pull out that easy.

So, I use the staple gun to staple the fencing in place cause it's quick and easy and then I nail the u-shape nails in - since the nails are so small they are hard to hold if the fencing isn't already up. So use the staple gun to tack it in place and then reinforce with the u-nails - can be done by one person working alone. Added tip: a pair of needle nose pliers helps to hold the small nail so you don't hammer your finger.

Just beware and don't buy those huge, thick metal u-shape fence nails. You need a sledge hammer to drive them in.
smile.png
I've learned from experience.

I use about 3 staples ((Cobra Power Shot) from the gun in the 2 foot span, and then I do a wooden strip overlay using 3 galvanized deck screws.

I figured a Racoon, with those long fingernails, could "pop out" an ordinary staple, but he would have a lot of difficulty getting the wood strip off. Screws and washers will be just as difficult for him (the coon), but it takes far fewer screws and no washers, if you use the wood overlay strip.

At Home Depot they have boxes of roofing nails, basically a nail with a washer. They work very well.

You can kinda see them in this picture of my run:
33375_photo8.jpg

I use about 3 staples ((Cobra Power Shot) from the gun in the 2 foot span, and then I do a wooden strip overlay using 3 galvanized deck screws.

I figured a Racoon, with those long fingernails, could "pop out" an ordinary staple, but he would have a lot of difficulty getting the wood strip off. Screws and washers will be just as difficult for him (the coon), but it takes far fewer screws and no washers, if you use the wood overlay strip.

I'm attaching a pic of my partially completed Ark using this method. The 4 uprights along the side have the overlay strips. The bottom of the "cloth" is also trapped, but from the inside.

31340_dsc00529.jpg

Heavy gauge bull nose staples are super strong and easy to use, that is what i use on all of my poultry fencing.

AL

Quote:
I am curious.. what kind of staples pulled out??

The kind the hand staple guns use - and I've tried the small and large ones but they are just large staples, just like you use to staple paper, but since the back doesn't fold over, they can just be pulled out.

I did my windows like BioBob did his coop. I used poultry staples to attach the hardware cloth to the window frames, and then I put strips of wood around the 4 sides, (over the edges of the hardware cloth) and screwed them in with deck screws.
I use screws for almost everything in the coop. they are so easy to remove if you need to redo something.

I used the 1/4" crown stapples with a 3/4" leg to secure the fencing to the run. Plenty of them. I set the gun at 70 psi. It sank the crown tight.
I use fender washers and coated deck screws to secure the hardware cloth over the windows of the coop.
So far so good.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom