Attaching run to coop ideas please!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kjames603, May 23, 2019.

1. kjames603

kjames603 Chirping

Feb 24, 2017
    I need some outside the box ideas! We have a coop we are building. It's 10 feet tall (due to being on concrete block foundation). Our run, which we already had is only 6 feet tall. How would you attach the run to the coop? We made the coop so tall because we wanted to use real doors and not build our own and also because we are total rookies at building. it definitely has turned into a chicken palace! ahah! Here's a pic (don't worry about that red box I drew on it):

IMG_3955-2.JPG

2. Gitche Gumee Guy

Gitche Gumee Guy In the Brooder

May 8, 2019
    Keweenaw, Michigan
    I'm far from an expert in coops or building, but I would probably make some sort of bridge/tunnel out of hardware cloth and scrap lumber that connects the coop to the run. Then the height wouldn't be a problem.

21hens-incharge likes this.
  3. kjames603

kjames603 Chirping

Feb 24, 2017
    We were leaning towards that or lifting the run on cinders but that seems like a TON of cinders and hardware cloth. Making a hallway of some sort between the two sounded easier!

4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Definitely don't mess with the existing run.

To connect the 2... a tunnel/hallway of some kind.

Or you could add some run that connects the 2 buildings. Net or wire from the building's eve down to the front edge of the existing run.

Wire along the bottom of the coop to keep them from going under, then wire the sides.

5. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    I'd go with the "chunnel" idea and make a chute out of wood and wire leading from coop to run. It's pretty much the simplest solution.

21hens-incharge and aart like this.
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yep, chunnel.
    I would have put the people door on the end of coop and moved the run right up against coop.
    A wider shot of the whole scenario might offer other options...if you want and can move the run.

21hens-incharge likes this.
  7. green_thumb

green_thumb Chirping

Jan 29, 2019
    Central Ohio
    I asked a similar question a bit ago and really liked the idea from @Ridgerunner

I will be modeling mine after it with the changes suggested and a roof added.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: