attack by bird of prey

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ethelinde, Jan 17, 2017.

1. ethelinde

ethelinde New Egg

Nov 24, 2013
    I came home yesterday to many feathers on the ground and at first thought a fox! Then I discovered Twinnie lying as though dead but in fact still alive..Her head was all floppy as though she had a broken neck and her breathing rapid.

I have her in a warm box, in the house. Today she is now standing and showing a bit of interest, but will not eat or drink. her head still veers to one side quite a bit of the time but she cane hold it up I am using a syringe/spoon/finger/lettuce leaf to get liquid into her. A solution of sugar with a tiny bit of salt. She is resisting this a bit today!
    She did a nice poo overnight and today just a bit of white. stuff
    She has two punture holes on her neck which I have cleaned up and having lost quite a few feathers I can see where her neck is bruised,.

Her sister/companion is missing her a bit I think! I had three but the fox got one. They are usually safley contained but do have a bit of the day free running in the garden. I must rethink this!

Any advice on her care would be greatly appreciated

2. yellowbee0110

yellowbee0110 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2016
    North Carolina, USA
    Awww. Best wishes! I don't have any advice, but it sounds like you're doing a good job. I hope she makes it!

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Good luck with her! Mary

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sounds like you are on the right track.

Her eating and drinking are key, tempt her with some mashed egg.
    Be careful with the syringe, easy to cause aspiration.
    I use a soaked cotton swab held against the side of her beak to give fluids, it should migrate into her mouth and she'll swallow. You can gently stroke her neck under her beak to encourage swallowing.

Just keep an eye on the wound and care for it as you would a human wound,
    clean if necessary, keep it dry, and some antibiotic ointment can help keep germs at bay and the skin pliable.
    Do Not Use pain relief types of antibiotic ointment tho, can be highly toxic to birds.

If at all possible put her in a cage with her flock, or at least take her to visit.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Are you sure it wasn't a bobcat attack? I have had recent experience with them attacking my flock and they cause puncture wounds and broken necks. (though I understand foxes kill in the same manner) If it was a bobcat, I'm sorry to say, it will be back. I lost 23 birds from September to December from a bobcat family. I was told from a wildlife biologist that once a bobcat finds food, it will not stop until all food is gone. The sucker was smart too and knew when my dog was outside or inside.

It sounds like you are caring for your hen well. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by