Attack by dog

Where are you located in Australia?
I am in Sydney and have a vet nearby who treats chickens.

I had this happen to one of my girls years ago. She was attacked by a husky and got a large bite in her back. We treated her with Betadine around her wound and made sure to keep it clean and stop her from accessing it by bandaging it. She ended up recovering well and only died last year at 12 and a half.

The wound looks similar to what our girl had. If it is deeper, she may need to see a vet if you have one around. Also if it gets infected, she may need antibiotics.

This is the help I can offer. Someone else on this forum may have better advice but I just wanted to give some encouragement.

That's good. Keep us updated on how she does.
Thank you to everyone for your advice. I was so worried last night, having not had anything like this before. The vet has seen our “Henny Penny” and although she has quite a big chunck missing they said she should be fine. She is on antibiotics and rest and has an another appointment in a week.

Thank you to everyone for your advice. I was so worried last night, having not had anything like this before. The vet has seen our “Henny Penny” and although she has quite a big chunck missing they said she should be fine. She is on antibiotics and rest and has an another appointment in a week.

You are so fortunate to have a kind and caring chicken vet! So happy for you and your Henny Penny. My dog came within inches of catching a few of my pullets when she got loose. She now wears an ecollar while training. We’d only use it at this point for stopping a rampage and enforcing a recall and leave it. Very scary. She can’t help it since she’s a dog. But my chickens can’t help being chickens either. Good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom