Attack Survivor

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by 3chicks2dogs, Jul 19, 2010.

1. 3chicks2dogs

3chicks2dogs Hatching

Mar 15, 2010
    [​IMG]

I wanted to post this picture of our sweet RIR named "Scarface". She used to be my brother's chicken, but his coop (in the middle of a fairly large city) kept getting broken into. He lost 2 girls and this one almost had her face ripped off. She lived through the ordeal and came to live at my house, where I fed her cooked grits and oatmeal and nursed her back to egg-laying health. She is my daughters favorite of our five RIRs. We say she has lips instead of a beak!

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Good job of saving her and giving her a good home! [​IMG]

3. storminstaffs

storminstaffs Songster

Aug 7, 2008
    Durham, UK
    she's nice, looks more of a production red than a RIR though

4. Dapplepony

Dapplepony Songster

Jul 19, 2010
    If she is an RIR,does the back of her head look bald?[​IMG]

5. 3chicks2dogs

3chicks2dogs Hatching

Mar 15, 2010
    HHHMMM... I really did this chicken thing on the fly. My daughter and I went out to a house in the country to pick-up some chickens for my brother and they had 1 week old chicks. I was told they were RIRs but what do I know? They were cute and fluffy and my daughter looked up at me with that pathetic face and said "PLEASE". So I brought home 4 chicks. Lucked out they were all gals from what I read. I've been winging it from there (from coop building to injury to broody hens). We absolutely love them to death. They are heavy producers though so they could be production reds. Most docile friendly things. I do think that when I get new ones some day I will research it a bit more and get some of these really cool looking birds. BTW...she is not bald on the back of her head.

6. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Songster

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Awww, she's very lucky to have you guys!! Great job!!

7. Trophamus

Trophamus Songster

Apr 22, 2010
    Nottingham, UK
    aww thats so nice of you too take her in, she looks cute [​IMG]

8. j71

j71 In the Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    I have a Delaware that looks the same!!!

A racoon grabbed her by the face and dragged her down my driveway , our neighbor saw the ordeal at approx 655am!

Somehow, someway.....she escaped [​IMG]

I didnt know how she would do with no beak....I also hand fed her for a few weeks and you know what...that bird is alive n kicking!!

She cannot peck all that well but I have seen her get larger bugs down and she is eating her pellets.....if I drop spaghetti noodles, baked beans, scrambled eggs etc....she chomps em down! [​IMG]

Great job!

I tell folks my Delaware is 1-0 as a professional fighting Chicken!

edit: nvrmind....cannt get pic to upload.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  9. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Songster

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Aw, she is very lucky. And I think she's a red sex-link or red star, as she has white feathers. My production RIRs are just a slightly lighter red color than a pure RIR, and all 3 of them have black tails.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by