Attacked and mad about it!!

coop-er

Songster
7 Years
Nov 28, 2012
My flock was attacked today- in the middle of the day, in broad daylight, while we were RIGHT THERE-2 of my favorites were killed and one is missing. What kind of predator does this? He/she left 2 dead chickens and I suppose took the third one. What type of killer comes out in the middle of the day and kills for sport? Why leave 2 dead? He killed more than he could eat/carry. Just wondering what kind of predator we are hunting. Really don't want the rest of my small flock annihilated. Thank you for your insight-

Are there any bites or anything you can see to get an idea of size? I know minks and weasels will kill anything that they can get ahold of just for fun and to drink the blood, but in broad daylight and not afraid of people I'm wondering if you might be dealing with a neighbor's dog.

We do live out in the country but have never had problems with dogs. There were no marks on the two dead chickens, and no blood at all. We have seen a lone coyote pup around, would it chase and kill them just for fun or maybe trying to teach itself how to hunt? The neighbor also lost 2 of her young flock- one was killed and left and the other is gone- she said all she saw was the hind end of a gray animal run into the trees. I' m pretty concerned about these middle-of-the- day attacks as I have kids, dogs and cats also.

Fox or coyote kill for food, not fun. I had a fox kill 2 of my guineas last night, my fault, forgot to close the dang door to their coop. This year we have had a lot of foxes move in.

Hope you solve your mystery. We used to have a dog that would roam to our neighbors and kill their chickens but never ate them.

Thanks everyone for your input...it's actually a coyote.... Saw it today, close up, but lucky for him I was unarmed.... But I will get him

Back
Top Bottom