Attacked by a hawk. Recovery tips?

AKnewbie

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 30, 2012
We have 2 Khaki Campbells and 9 chickens.
A goshawk attacked the female duck. I heard frantic quacking outside and when I opened the door, the hawk had the female duck pinned down. I rush toward it so it let go of the female and as it was flying away, it went in for another chicken.
Our flock dispersed and all I could manage to find was the male duck who quickly went inside our house.
It took us a while to recover all of them, finding the female duck and chicken (both that were attacked) last. We ended up finding them in various places in our house. Catatonic.

So anyway, we checked for punctures or wounds and haven't found any but the female duck is moving quite slow...

Was wondering if anyone had any advice to help our birds in recovering from the attack.

They need to be kept in a quiet, clean "sick bay" for observation and recovery. I am not a chicken person, so I will share my thoughts about the duck.

Ducks can recover from such attacks, but sometimes they don't.

I would get the duck on some supports like vitamins, electrolytes, and probiotics, and consider oral antibiotics in case you missed a puncture wound. Something to think about, anyway, and be ready to do.

Let the duck swim in lukewarm water. It is therapeutic for a duck to bathe.

If the duck is in shock, she may not want to eat much. Just let her rest for several hours but if she doesn't start eating soon, give her some gruel (water that has been used to soak oats). That will have some calories in it.

Nutri drench is a product that might help as it has calories and some vitamins in it, too.

Those are my initial thoughts. Prayers for you all. Except for the bath, the chicken may be helped with these things, too.

Thank you.
Duck is still moving very cautiously and seems to be eating some. Have given them electrolyte water and will check on the Nutri Drench

Back
Top Bottom