1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

attacked by a rooster???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenjscott, Sep 9, 2008.

1. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I was changing out the paper towels in the brooder that has 7 4-day-old chicks. One of them ran at my hand, stood up tall and bumped my hand with his chest. Have I been attacked by a rooster?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You probably are seeing the behavior of a male. In every hatch I have one that stands out almost from day 1. Funny little things aren't they?

Keep in mind both males and females do the chest bumping and other prosturing behaviors as they develop their own pecking order in their small flock.

3. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    My roo Don was very interested in me from about a week old. But we had 2 others who matured slower who I dont remember anything about them that sticks out as a sign. He would let me pick him up and rub his neck, the others ran away. He is still the only one who comes right over to me.

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Yep...I add the chest bumping, running toward me trying to peck me...slow feathering in...and play fighting with others...I'm usually right that they are roos. Sometimes I'll have an agressive little pullet, but not often. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by