Attacked by neighbor’s rooster

ChickieKeeta

C'mon C'mere Fluffa Feathers
14 Years
Feb 16, 2009
Cumberland County NJ
My neighbor’s rooster has come in my yard frequently since last summer. I was walking with my back to him when he suddenly attacked. He flailed right into my upper thigh. I got in the car and went to the neighbor’s house and told them their rooster attacked me in my yard and I would appreciate it if they would keep him penned up, They told me he never does that. Anyone can walk all around him. He would never do that unless I did something to him, They ordered me off their property.

No rooster ever suddenly attacks until the first time they do! This is their rooster inside my chicken run just two days ago when I let mine out just before sunset. I rarely let mine out. It is true he never came after me before. I did nothing to provoke him. He does not belong in my yard. I don’t know what to do but I certainly should not have to be concerned about being attacked in my own yard when I least expect it!

Attachments

• 46BA0A05-3D9A-4EAF-A0ED-E2FDEE07F8FD.png
    46BA0A05-3D9A-4EAF-A0ED-E2FDEE07F8FD.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 45
Do you have an animal control? You could certainly report them for it.
Personally I would have no problems about killing a rooster that attacked me that was also on my property when I didn't say he could be there. It's certainly within your rights to protect yourself if he attacks again.

My neighbor’s rooster has come in my yard frequently since last summer. I was walking with my back to him when he suddenly attacked. He flailed right into my upper thigh. I got in the car and went to the neighbor’s house and told them their rooster attacked me in my yard and I would appreciate it if they would keep him penned up, They told me he never does that. Anyone can walk all around him. He would never do that unless I did something to him, They ordered me off their property.

No rooster ever suddenly attacks until the first time they do! This is their rooster inside my chicken run just two days ago when I let mine out just before sunset. I rarely let mine out. It is true he never came after me before. I did nothing to provoke him. He does not belong in my yard. I don’t know what to do but I certainly should not have to be concerned about being attacked in my own yard when I least expect it!
Kill him when he enters your property.

I can't believe the response from them. I'd be MORTIFIED and dealing with the rooster myself after an intensive round of apologies. He should not have been on your property. If they can't do any better than this I'd agree with an animal control report for starters. Idk about the legality but I'd check. Perhaps he can just be dealt with the next time he trespasses.

I appreciate the replies. I have lived here 41 years. A lot of people here have chickens with roosters. Today I searched local ordinances. (Late. I know.) None of us are in compliance. A full acre of land is required. Some of us have 1/2. Some 1/4. I am considering giving up my chickens. Perhaps I am getting too old for this anyway. If I report them their chickens, ducks and pig will have to go. They didn’t need to be mean. I don’t need their rooster sneak attacking me in my yard. He has been in my yard most days since summer. I doubt they will pen him, That was all I asked for.

I appreciate the replies. I have lived here 41 years. A lot of people here have chickens with roosters. Today I searched local ordinances. (Late. I know.) None of us are in compliance. A full acre of land is required. Some of us have 1/2. Some 1/4. I am considering giving up my chickens. Perhaps I am getting too old for this anyway. If I report them their chickens, ducks and pig will have to go. They didn’t need to be mean. I don’t need their rooster sneak attacking me in my yard. He has been in my yard most days since summer. I doubt they will pen him, That was all I asked for.
So, I’d probably not report them bc it would have far ranging impacts, possibly, to all the other neighbors. Apparently many in your area enjoy various animals and there have been no problems in your 41 years until this incident.

What I would do is get a dog cage and if he happens to enter the cage and get caught in it, on your property, then you can choose to keep him, or to add him to that great circle of life. Your neighbors are quite inconsiderate to allow him to free range outside of their property, and then immediately refuse to believe you when injured.

Back
Top Bottom