Attacked by ? possibly Coon, Missing Wing!

ma2babygurl13

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Fairborn OH
My flock got hit hard last night. We lost 4 young birds, all pulled through the fence and pieces scattered about. Found 2 injured, one had a severe injury to it's neck and died not long after. The other is a 6ish month old silkie pullet, she managed to escape (for now) with her life, but her entire wing is GONE! I even found the wing several feet from the coop. I thought it was pretty safe seeing it is Thick Chainlink fencing surrounded by chicken wire, guess not. Anyways, she seems to be doing ok, drinking water and pecking at food. I cleaned it out the best I could and sprayed BluKote on the wound... is there anymore I can do for her to help her???

OMG, that's awful. I've been meaning to beef up my henhouse door so I'll have to get going. I hope she does all right and has a good chicken life despite her injuries. Poor thing. Update us on how she is doing.

PS: I have no idea how to treat these other than antibiotics maybe and keeping the wound clean and bandaged. Hopefully some others will chime in who would know better.

Definitely a coon. They're very strong and dexterous. He'll be back so be careful.

poor girl! hope that coon wont come back!
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

new&learning :

might try setting trap for the coon and relocate him

More often than not, relocating raccoons is illegal, so be sure to check with wildlife authorities in your area if this is advice you'd like to take. We trap and kill the predators we catch, which is legal in our state.​

I had a hen that lost her wing all the way to her body. She took it pretty hard and just stood around with her head drooped for a week and a half. I had her in a small pen, alone and fed her a gruel containing starter mash, Red Cell, and Coloidal Silver, through an eye dropper twice a day. Toward the end of the second week, she started eating a little on her own. By the end of the third week, she was eating good and I moved her to a bigger pen with a dirt floor so she could exercize. I put a 2X4 in there, at ground level, and on edge so she could roost. That hen, a little Spanish game hen, made a great recovery. I put her back with a cock soon after and she got strong enough to jump up to a 2' high roost. She even raised a half dozen or so broods, before a coon finally killed her. Sounds like you`re doing a good job on the meds, just keep an eye out for infection. Like everyone sez, the coon will return, so set your trap........Pop

We set a livetrap, and will kill the coon we trap. last night the sneaky critter stole our bait (wet catfood), and the trap never sprung... we have it set ultra light tonight, we'll see what we get! She is doing pretty good, I have her locked up in a hutch with 2 younger silkies and she was following their lead to eat and drink. She is a trooper! She did however get some of the blukote on her face and beak (I'm guessing from grooming the area) tried to wipe it off but was not able to! I sure hope it doesn't harm her! I follwed the instructions and waited until it was dry to let her be
sad.png
She has some minimal discharge from the wound, but it doesn't appear to be infected. Should I start her on antibiotics? Where do I get them at? What is the dosage? poor girl, tomorrow I'm going to trim back some of her fluff so she can see better. She seems to be doing alright, her balance is a little off but Im sure with time she will adjust.

Back
Top Bottom