Attacked by roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by featherfooted, Jun 26, 2008.

1. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    Today as I was going to the coop to check for eggs and my Dark Brahma roo jumped up and attacked my leg from behind. They free range all day. He has never been agressive before. Lately he has also been attacking my sussex hen and today one of the cochin hens. By attacking I mean attacking not acting like he wants to breed them. Should I get rid of him or what? [​IMG]

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
  3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    It seems he sees you as the alpha roo and wants to challenge you for the title.

There are some who say you can gentle a rooster after it has become aggressive. I haven't had any luck trying the two methods suggested to me.

Either learn to carry a stick to chase him away, or get rid of him. If there are small or elderly people at your place, you may be better off re-homing the roo. Some will say that the stock pot is the best place for him.

4. cmcgoun

cmcgoun Chillin' With My Peeps

Hit him a few times with a stick and he will get the picture, if he ever challenges you again

5. herbandteas

herbandteas Chillin' With My Peeps

That was funny reading but it did make sense.

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    WOW I just read that article that Dawn sent (above a few comments) and it was very interesting! I am SO going to do that! I have been with my Serama and it IS working. He was trying to bite me when I would reach in for a chick. I let him know it's not acceptable right away by flicking his beak and he's not doing it anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by