Attacked duck

SNGray

Hatching
Feb 7, 2023
My duck was attacked by a raccoon tonight. What can I do to help him? Pain meds and cleaning and doctoring. He is missing muscle on the back of the neck and missing skin all the way around his neck.
0F570314-76F6-4709-A022-4F2B38832A8F.jpeg

Last edited:
Can you take some pictures? Also post in the Emergency forum, you'll probably get more replies there.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

I don't know about pain meds, but yes, clean the wounds and flush them with saline. Raccoon bites can be nasty and full of bacteria. If you have an antibiotic ointment, you can apply that after the cleaning, and wrap in clean gauze bandage. I would check it twice a day.

Can you take some pictures? Also post in the Emergency forum, you'll probably get more replies there.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

I don't know about pain meds, but yes, clean the wounds and flush them with saline. Raccoon bites can be nasty and full of bacteria. If you have an antibiotic ointment, you can apply that after the cleaning, and wrap in clean gauze bandage. I would check it twice a day.
I’m new here and this is my first post. I tried to attach a picture but was not successful. Thank you! I will submit to the emergency forum.

I’m new here and this is my first post. I tried to attach a picture but was not successful. Thank you! I will submit to the emergency forum.
That's perfectly fine. I'm not sure how it works from a phone, but from your desktop computer you can either hit the 'Attach Files' button on the bottom left of the reply box, OR you can drag a picture in from your open file folder (which is what I usually do) directly into the reply box. If I remember right, you can also just do a copy/paste of the picture.

How is he doing this morning?

That's perfectly fine. I'm not sure how it works from a phone, but from your desktop computer you can either hit the 'Attach Files' button on the bottom left of the reply box, OR you can drag a picture in from your open file folder (which is what I usually do) directly into the reply box. If I remember right, you can also just do a copy/paste of the picture.

How is he doing this morning?
He’s doing okay. He ate some romaine and drank some water through the night. I’m taking him to our vet today. Hopefully he can get him some help.

Back
Top Bottom