Attacked...now what?

welman

Songster
11 Years
Jul 16, 2008
New Hampshire
Hi all,
I've searched around a bit but it's getting dark here and I thought someone may be able to answer faster than I can search.
We had a hawk attack one of our NH Reds today, she's a mess *loss of feathers, blood* but still pecking around and acting fine. we only have (well had) 4 chickens (one is missing) I"m not sure how to quarantine her in the best way? My only idea so far is to put her in an old rabbit cage in the basement which is not heated. Will this work? Should I do something else? the Coop is small enough that I can't figure out a way to cordon off a space for her to be safe from the others..

Thanks for any advice!

How big is the rabit cage...........If if it is a descent size it would do fine just put water and feed in with here and keep her till she looks healed up. hope everything goes well!
fl.gif

She'll be fine in there. If she's used to roosting, put a 2X4 on the floor of the cage as well. She'll probably climb up onto it (even though it's on the ground) and roost. I did that for a hen that got hurt....she was absolutely listless and not liking the cage at all......then I put the 2X4 in there and she was fine. Fell right asleep up on it...

Another suggestion is a medium to large dog crate. I've had a few get injured by hawks and my own Lab, who so far has licked the feathers off much to the hen's indignation. If extra heat is need, I've clipped a 100W or 60W light bulb in a reflector (like ones used in a brooder pen) to the top and pointed in the side or the door. She shouldn't need to be confined too long- once she's scabbed and healing maybe try to reintroduce?
Lora

This forum is such a great resource, thanks so much.
She's in the crate with a pretty serious looking puncture wound and missing LOTS of feathers. I'll get some antibiotic on the wound and hopefully she'll heal well.

Thanks again for the advice!

when I had an injuried hen, I placed the crate in the coop. That way she could see and hear the others.. It worked great. It was not even hard to reintroduce her into the flock.

Back
Top Bottom