Attacked

Jbomb416

Hatching
Jan 25, 2024
Something attacked all my of my hens and killed them except one. Mary Ann who is a Brahma is still breathing (checked her heart rate and lungs) (I’m a vet tech) she has a wound but is also in shock. I gave her some sugar water and she is wrapped in a heated blanket she seems to be more responsive by the hours but I’m not sure if I’m doing the right thing what else can I do for her. How long could this last. I am aware that she could die in the morning .

She is going to be grieving for the others, but it is important she has other chickens around when she is well again. Just give her lots of love and care, to help her through her shock and grief. Poor chicken. You are doing great.

:welcome

Sorry about your loss and your poor girl. Could you post a picture of her wound?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    729.9 KB · Views: 9
So sorry for your losses! We had a hen wounded like that on her back from a dog attack. We mixed up some sterile saline and put it in a spray bottle and flushed the wound really well, then gently blotted it dry with a clean towel. Then we coated it with triple antibiotic ointment (neosporin) that did not contain pain reliever, and finally sprayed it with Veterycin spray gel. We did this twice daily, keeping her in a crate in the house to protect her from flies, and in about 3 weeks she was fully healed. Good luck with your girl! :hugs

So sorry for your losses! We had a hen wounded like that on her back from a dog attack. We mixed up some sterile saline and put it in a spray bottle and flushed the wound really well, then gently blotted it dry with a clean towel. Then we coated it with triple antibiotic ointment (neosporin) that did not contain pain reliever, and finally sprayed it with Veterycin spray gel. We did this twice daily, keeping her in a crate in the house to protect her from flies, and in about 3 weeks she was fully healed. Good luck with your girl! :hugs
I have already washed her out with saline I’m very grateful that the animal didn’t puncture here on her vitals and hoping she can pull threw. Right now I am giving her sugar water every 15 min and checking on her. She seems to be lively so hoping she can pull threw. I have been also checking her heart rate and lungs just to make sure everything is ok.

Back
Top Bottom