attacking new chicken

bgeyer

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 13, 2012
I have a new sex linked red and she is being attacked by my silkie rooster. I have them seperated and allow them to be near each other with a barrier during the day time. How long will this last? How long do they need to be seperated for? Are they ever going to get along.

Integrating chickens together is rarely easy. What you are doing is good with a slower introduction. Usually when I finally do put them together I add distraction in the coop. A bale of straw, a milk crate, an old picture.... Also food like a cabbage ball is quite distracting. Just remember that chickens usually hate change.

It can take a really long time sometimes when it's just one new bird your trying to integrate. I no longer try to integrate single new birds, I've just had to much trouble with it. Just keep doing what your doing, letting them see each other but be separated by fence. Maybe put the new bird in the coop at night in a wire dog crate as well so they can get used to her in there to.

I will say, the last time I tried integrating just one new bird I did all those things for two months and they never did allow her in the coop and almost killed her the last time I tried. They finally got to where she could free range with the flock but she never was accepted into the coop.

I have 6 older sex-link hens that I need to introduce to my other chickens for the winter. When i have moved chickens, i found that more is better.. as cafarmgirl said intergrating one sucks because they usually get beat up pretty bad. I have a rather large room that they stay in with lots of places to get up and out of the way, but having a buddy helps. Distraction is good too, if they chickens are flustered then it is easier to put new birds in because they are all in it together.

Like i said they might get beat up, but they get over it. My rooster's take the brunt of it from each other and often get blood everywhere if their comb starts bleeding. But combs heal SOOOO fast..

It can take a really long time sometimes when it's just one new bird your trying to integrate.  I no longer try to integrate single new birds, I've just had to much trouble with it.  Just keep doing what your doing, letting them see each other but be separated by fence.  Maybe put the new bird in the coop at night in a wire dog crate as well so they can get used to her in there to.

I will say, the last time I tried integrating just one new bird I did all those things for two months and they never did allow her in the coop and almost killed her the last time I tried.  They finally got to where she could free range with the flock but she never was accepted into the coop.

Yeah I no longer do single birds also. If I do get stuck with one I grab two mid pecking order hens and stick them in a crate in my garage for a week with the newby. They always seem to "bond" from their vacation in the garage and it is much easier.

Yeah I no longer do single birds also. If I do get stuck with one I grab two mid pecking order hens and stick them in a crate in my garage for a week with the newby. They always seem to "bond" from their vacation in the garage and it is much easier.
That's a really good idea! I'll try that too if I ever get stuck with a single newbie again for some reason.

I came up with that after I took some bossy hens that were always fighting to a chicken swap and they came back best friends... :rolleyes::lol:

Back
Top Bottom