1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Attacking Rooster

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Gross, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Gross

Gross New Egg

Apr 30, 2014
    I have a RIR rooster that has started attacking me at times. I have kicked him away, hit him with a stick and a bucket just to protect myself. He is about 6 months old. The five hens he is with started laying August 1st. He has just started this. It isn't every time I go in the pen, but I never know when he does it. He lowers his head, the feathers on his neck flare out and he lunges at me throwing his feet at me as to use his spurs. He only has small nubes right now, but he could hurt someone when he gets older. Is he being protective of the hens or is he probably just mean as rip?

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I do not advocate hitting nor kicking a Rooster...I can understand your frustration and potential fear but...I would catch him and hold him down for 5 minutes...do not allow him to move at all whilst you do this...you need to show him that you are the dominant one and he needs to learn respect...every time he does anything unacceptable you need to catch him and hold him down..again for 5 minutes..he will learn respect..if he shows no acceptance of this treatment...consider culling him... please do give him a chance..he is young and is trying his luck...

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Sounds like stew pot time to me Here's what an adult rooster can do

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was all done in one swoop. So under a minute. I haven't had one get better,if anything they get worse.

2 people like this.
  4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
  5. Gross

Gross New Egg

Apr 30, 2014
    Thanks for your reply. I will try that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by