Attacking weak pullet

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

You already got GREAT advice. :highfive:

Sad how harsh the reality of flock dynamics are. And it might get worse. :(

I might try the temporary separation still in sight while allowing a chance to grow. Just a little peace and a chance to gain some confidence is a lot different than a bird that can't make it to feed or needs diapers changed.

If it were a long term heavily special needs than I would cull, for sure. I don't have the time or energy and it wouldn't be fair to the bird.

You might include a bird with her that doesn't beat her up for company. Some of my birds have pet status and will get the extra help while most others are livestock. I will put some effort and time into saving each one.

I personally have NO room and ZERO tolerance for bullies... so I would probably separate THOSE ones! :mad: Though what they are doing is completely normal.

Rehoming is an option, to the right home. That might be a good idea... for the bullies! :tongue Seriously though for the poor girl.

I definitely would cull before allowing it to continue in that fashion. Hard decision, I know. :hugs

Hoping for a great outcome. :fl

How long has her foot been crippled for and how did it get that way, out of curiosity? As well as noting that limping is one sign of Marek's.

I'm with you on the no tolerance for bullying! I was chasing my naughty aggressive Easter Egger around with a kitchen towel when she last attacked my little girl (my husband thinks I'm crazy and quite humorous). I treated her and another pullet for cocci when they were around 6 weeks. She's never walked well since, but her one foot seems to get progressively worse. Other than that, she seems a healthy, normal, albeit small and timid, pullet.

I think I'll try separating her for awhile with my only laying hen. She's very tolerant and sweet, so perhaps they'll form a connection. When I got chickens, I didn't know how they'd get into my heart........sigh! Thank you for your help; I greatly appreciate your advice!

Back
Top Bottom