Attempting Hatching Again

luvmypets

Songster
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
East Coast
I have tried incubating twice the first time I got no chicks, but the second time I got a single cockeral who died around four months. Anyhow I love hatching so much and the past three broodies have had NO chicks. So I need some help starting hatching again. Im nervous as well as excited but before I start I want as much info as possible.

I have tried incubating twice the first time I got no chicks, but the second time I got a single cockeral who died around four months. Anyhow I love hatching so much and the past three broodies have had NO chicks. So I need some help starting hatching again. Im nervous as well as excited but before I start I want as much info as possible.
First off, check out the hatching 101 article on here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101 It is an absolute must read.
Second of all use more than one thermometer in the incubator. Never rely on one. That is my biggest piece of advice. I bought a brand new thermometer for my first attempt. Figured it was new it had to be accurate. I had one late hatcher because my thermometer was way off. So now I use three!!

Consider wether you want to do a "normal" incubation or a dry incubation. (I switched to dry and to me, it's so much better.)
If you use a still air incubator, the temp recommendation is 101-102 degrees while forced air is 99.5.

Remember that everyone differs in their philiosophies of "HOW TO" and no one is absolutely wrong or right. People just have different things that work different for them and have different comfort levels as to what they "will" or "won't" do during a hatch. The important thing is to find what works for YOU. You can always ask more pointed questions here and will most likely get a plethora of opinions that will hopefully lead you in the right direction. Happy Hatching!

I have read the hatching article more than once :) and ill ask questions as they come to me... Dont have any on my mind atm.

Back
Top Bottom