Attempting to change the ordinance in Munster, IN (Northwest Indiana)

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by justcallmeang, Mar 2, 2016.

1. justcallmeang

justcallmeang New Egg

Mar 2, 2016
    Hello, everyone. I'm new, but have been on this site here and there while trying to research other Northwest Indiana towns that allow backyard chickens. I think the ordinance was passed in Munster, IN in 2010. Because that's fairly recent, I don't know how I will fare trying to change it.

If anyone here has had success, I welcome any advice. Right now I am researching to build a case.

Munster, IN is a very small town just south of Hammond and very close to Chicago. Our town is very "uppity" and as far as I know, no one has enough property to have even a small farm. I am fortunate to have a large back yard on a cul-de-sac and have a huge garden. I'm trying to learn how to be more sustainable and grow what I put in my large family's mouths.

The only cities I know of that allow them is Chesterton and Hobart. Perhaps Highland and St. John, but I can't be sure.

If anyone finds this thread who lives in Munster, please reach out to me. Thanks.
  2. Haley LeRand

Haley LeRand New Egg

Jun 21, 2017
    Munster, IN
    Hi there! I know your post is old, but I just noticed it. My family and I live in Munster and are looking to raise chickens. I think the ordinance is ridiculous and I'm curious to hear if you're still in Munster/still considering the chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by