Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Take her to the local vet

Votes: 8 88.9%

• Total voters

LittlePip21

Songster
Feb 5, 2017
IMG_2306.JPG
Hello there, I have an older hen with what appears to be bumble foot between her toes. She has had two growing lumps (one on each foot, and both are between the toes)one of them has developed a dark crusty scab in the past week, she's been well, but being the top hen, has fallen quite a few pegs in the pecking order. Bumblefoot especially makes sense because their perches are quite high and their coop needs a good thourough cleaning. Poor girl, I wish I had taken care of it right away, but I'll have to wait until tomorrow afternoon until I can take it out. So, this being my first bumblefoot case, I would appreciate some advice, does anyone know where I could get a absess punch, or a good scalpel? I don't have any surgical tools fit for a live animal unfortunately. Also, should I give her baby aspirin for pain? Thanks guys!

To the vet. If it was a small area then ok. But this bird has bad feet. Bumblefoot is staph infection, aka, MRSA. You can start with epsom salt baths until she can be seen. The blackened area needs to exised and white piece of hard infection removed and soaked. She also has infected follicles as noted by pink swelling. And as they age the rougher their feet look. I would soak her feet in hydrogen peroxide or hiba cleanse like they give you before surgery and can be bought at walmart. Cut open black spot if no vet which is usually attached to hard piece, resoak with peroxide or the other and then choose next step.
I personally use Wonder Dust for horses. It is a drawing agent and removes the dead flesh. Cover them good and keep dry. I push vitamin E as a suggestion to keep wattles and feet in good shape. And no jumping.

To the vet. If it was a small area then ok. But this bird has bad feet. Bumblefoot is staph infection, aka, MRSA. You can start with epsom salt baths until she can be seen. The blackened area needs to exised and white piece of hard infection removed and soaked. She also has infected follicles as noted by pink swelling. And as they age the rougher their feet look. I would soak her feet in hydrogen peroxide or hiba cleanse like they give you before surgery and can be bought at walmart. Cut open black spot if no vet which is usually attached to hard piece, resoak with peroxide or the other and then choose next step.
I personally use Wonder Dust for horses. It is a drawing agent and removes the dead flesh. Cover them good and keep dry. I push vitamin E as a suggestion to keep wattles and feet in good shape. And no jumping.

:goodpost:

View attachment 1574365 Hello there, I have an older hen with what appears to be bumble foot between her toes. She has had two growing lumps (one on each foot, and both are between the toes)one of them has developed a dark crusty scab in the past week, she's been well, but being the top hen, has fallen quite a few pegs in the pecking order. Bumblefoot especially makes sense because their perches are quite high and their coop needs a good thourough cleaning. Poor girl, I wish I had taken care of it right away, but I'll have to wait until tomorrow afternoon until I can take it out. So, this being my first bumblefoot case, I would appreciate some advice, does anyone know where I could get a absess punch, or a good scalpel? I don't have any surgical tools fit for a live animal unfortunately. Also, should I give her baby aspirin for pain? Thanks guys!
If vet care is not an option, then you will need to do this yourself.
As mentioned earlier, there are several ways of doing this, you will need to read up on the procedures and feel comfortable before you take the infection out.
You may want to do one foot at a time. I would also keep her caged and on clean dry bedding while she heals.
I would not use Hydrogen Peroxide, it can be damaging to tissue is not that effective as an antiseptic. Chlorhexidine (Hibiclens) would be better for clean the feet well or you can use Betadine. Epsom salts is also good for soaking and healing.

With an infection like that is would also be good to get her on some antibiotics. Amoxicillin can be ordered online or you can find Procaine Penicillin G at most feed stores.
You can find abscess punches online through Ebay or Amazon.

She needs to be eating and drinking well. Her normal feed is fine along with a few treats like egg or tuna for a protein boost.
Hope all goes well, keep us posted.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ssibly-blackhead.1278420/page-3#post-20591415

Alright, I took her to the vet, and they found the entry point in the folds of skin on the foot pad, deep enough that I missed them, and they were able to squeeze out the cores with just their fingers, no antibiotics needed, they told me to soak her feet in Epson salts twice a day, and expel the pockets if I need to. They didn't even charge us, so everything's good so far! She's already acting better. I'll keep you posted, I've cleaned out the hen house and I'm going to scrub the roosts down.

Back
Top Bottom