Attention Birders: What is this bird?

MilesFluffybutt

Crowing
7 Years
Nov 16, 2016
Vermont
Hello Birding Community!

I had this bird show up earlier this week and I'm not positive what type of bird it is. I think a Merlin, but they're supposed to be uncommon in my area - northern Vermont. I watched for 3 or 4 hours as it unsuccessfully hunted the Blue Jays eating the peanuts/various seeds I left out for the birds. It only performed aerial attacks - it'd swoop down on the feeding Blues and they'd out fly it every time. If it caught a Blue unaware on the ground, the Blue would puff up/yell, and the bird would go back to the tree. It wasn't much bigger than they Blues themselves. It did go after a particularly brave (or dumb, however you want to look at it) chipmunk that really wanted a peanut. It failed to snatch the chipmunk. This poor bird was visibly tired when it finally called it a day and flew off. It hasn't been back since.

I apologize for the quality of the photos. My camera battery was practically dead so it wasn't functioning properly.

DSC_5990 (2).jpg DSC_5991 (2).jpg DSC_5994 (2).jpg DSC_5995 (2).jpg

I'm not a hawk expert but I originally thought it was a coopers hawk. After checking, Sharp-shinned and coopers look almost identical. The biggest differences are the size (coopers are bigger), and coopers have a larger, more noticeable white band at the end of their tail which I can see in the first two images.

coopers-hawk-sharp-shinned-hawk-tail.jpg

The eyes are yellow so it is definitely not an adult hawk, regardless of which species it is. Mature birds will have dark red/orange eyes. Since it's rather small, immature, and has a noticeable white band on the tail.... my guess is a young coopers hawk.

Last edited:
I stick with my original call. Juvenile Coopers hawks are much lighter in color than the adults. This bird is too dark, also the white band on the tail is much more distinguishable on Coopers hawks. The bird in the photo looks like it could be about the size of the J it was hunting. As far as eye color, I find it hard to see in the photos provided. I have observed them both close up and their differences. I also thought at first it was a Coopers hawk, but it's looks too small and too dark. Note, your example is of the underside of the tail. Photos can be deceiving.

It's way better to see in this photo. however, I still go with Sharp shinned.
I didn't pay much attention to the flying pics but it is a tiny hawk, you're right. Based on size verses color it very well may be a sharp shinned. As long as that's not too much white on the tail. I've never seen a sharp shinned before to my knowledge, but I've seen some coopers.

Back
Top Bottom