Attention Birders: What is this bird?

I didn't pay much attention to the flying pics but it is a tiny hawk, you're right. Based on size verses color it very well may be a sharp shinned. As long as that's not too much white on the tail. I've never seen a sharp shinned before to my knowledge....
We are good, :highfive: You know the hawks get really hard to identify. I wouldn't have known if it wasn't for this bird museum over at Pymatuning lake in Espy Ville Pa. They have every bird you can think of stuffed so you can walk up to the show case and be within a few inches of the bird. I make one trip every summer just to refresh my memory.

It came back this morning to go after the Blue Jays again when they were grouped up, snacking on more peanuts. Sadly, I was unable to get any better photos since it's pouring out. I do think it's a Sharp Shinned - it's so small and the call I heard here sounds just like what I'm hearing.

@5 Points Wingfeather - thank you for the app suggestion. I'm downloading it now.

It came back this morning to go after the Blue Jays again when they were grouped up, snacking on more peanuts. Sadly, I was unable to get any better photos since it's pouring out. I do think it's a Sharp Shinned - it's so small and the call I heard here sounds just like what I'm hearing.

@5 Points Wingfeather - thank you for the app suggestion. I'm downloading it now.
It will give examples of juvenile birds and calls too. It should help you figure it out with certainty

Back
Top Bottom