Attention Sheep People-Darling, but what is she?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Nupine, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    I am vegetarian, and always complain about how I hate the sale barn, and how you should never buy animals there, and its pure abuse and such. Well, I haven't went for 2 years, but my friends were going to buy calves, so I figured I would go too. Well we walked down to the holding pens, and OMG, there were the CUTEST little lambs in the world!! Since they were spotted, I automatically thought Jacob. Well, there was a ewe and a ram, and we purchased the ewe lamb for a mere $25. She has a little bit of a runny nose, and a little cough, but is eating fine. But now I know why I hate sale barns. Because people are a bunch of idiots and take newborn lambs fro their moms and sell them. She, who we have named Imogen [the European name I love and everyone else hates], is TINY. She is maybe 2/3 the size, at the most, as my 7 pound newborn Alpine goat babies. But she has rather large teeth [not like adult teeth, but very large compareds to a newborn], her hooves are already slightly long [like not like a newborns], and is happily munching on a little hay! But she ways like 5 pounds! That is weird. My 5-6 week old Alpines are hardly eating hay. She is a little depressed because of a tramatic day, but is doing pretty well. But, she isn't a Jacob. Her legs are all black, and Jacob's are ALWAYS white. And, from what I can tell, she is a hair sheep, not a wool sheep. Her coat is like goat hair, but slightly coarser and a little crimped. I know she isn't a goat because she looks like a sheep otherwise, and has a tail, which I will remove. Her face and legs are feminine looking. She is the cutest thing in the world, but what is she? And should I worry about her cough and runny nose? Her poop is normal but part of it is whiteish, not worms, and just like a parts it are somewhat white. will she be okay? Thanks!
    Ashlyn

2. username taken

username taken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    It would be helpful if you could post a picture of your new little one.

3. MissJames

MissJames Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    Quote:Wow, I'm so glad you have her. It sounds like she's had a rough start. I've never been to an auction or sale barn but I've heard they are brutal.
    I have goats,not sheep [though I want some!] so I can't help.Just happy she has a good home.

4. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    Jacob legs are not white. They should be spotted to mostly black, But never completely black, nor completely white. If you get a chance to post a picture of the lamb I would like to see it. Here is a picture of one of this years lambs:

[​IMG]

She won't be registered because she does not have enough black on her legs, at a minimum all her feet should have black-socks.
    Chris

5. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    maybe she is a mix? she is so cute!!

6. SheriM

SheriM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    From your description, it sounds to me like you've got a Katahdin or a Katahdin cross, although usually when you cross them, they don't have the true hair coat the Katahdins are supposed to have.

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote:Unless you cross them with another "hair" sheep.

These are Dorper/Katahdin crosses:
    [​IMG]

8. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Oh my goodness all those little lambs are adorable!!!!! [​IMG]

9. username taken

username taken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Not to nitpick, but Dorpers are a shedding breed, Katahdins are a true hair breed. There's a subtle difference, but a difference nonetheless.

Cute lambs, love em! I cant wait for my Damara (hair breed) lambs to arrive, anytime within the next 3 weeks ...

I particularly like that mostly black one with white flecks ... and the little mis-marked Jacob lamb

<3

10. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I love the Appaloosa lamb too [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by