ATTN: All ladies.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by TheOLDNewChick, Oct 13, 2009.

1. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    [​IMG]

I wanted to make a suggestion for all the BYC ladies who're married, going to be getting married, in a relationship, etc.
    My mom and I are reading a book that has been a blessing. It's by Michael & Deborah Pearl (founders of No Greater Joy ministries). It's titled "Created To Be His Help-Meet". It's a wonderful book. Actually, I would like to suggest it to all the ladies on this board. It's a wonderful book filled with wisdom and I think it would be a blessing in everyone's lives. I know it's changed my attitude a lot since I began reading it, it's an eye-opener and rather refreshing, especially in today's world.

Anyone else here who has read the book, please give your feedback and share your testimonies if you'd like.

Please, no flaming.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2009
  2. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    you know, i read that book..i used to be into a lot of their books but to be honest, she is a bit abrasive to me. her teaching seems sound though! i loved to train up a child, very good book.

3. PlymouthRocker

PlymouthRocker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Plymouth County MA
    A bunch of my friends who are pastor's wives picked up that book to do an online book club. While we liked what she said, at times the spirit she said it in was quite prideful or condescending - always sharing stories about what she did right. You have to maneuver through her quirky opinions and stories to get to the nuggets. It's like panning for gold. We didn't finish our discussion on it, as several of the ladies got tired of wading through the muck. I didn't mind her attitude, but I did have to prepare for it before I did our assigned reading.

We moved on to "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World" by Joanna Weaver. It's not a book on marriage, but it is geared towards women. It's outstanding. The author is humble and forthright, often sharing stories of how she learned from her failures. We are now reading her follow up, "Having a Mary Spirit." Both books are brilliant.

4. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Ok, I cleaned up this thread.

Now a few points about the OP.
    The book was a suggestion, not required reading.

Opinions were asked for IF you read the book.

This thread is not for you to bash each other over what you feel is working or not in your lives.

If you are not interested in this book, move on.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  5. PlymouthRocker

PlymouthRocker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Plymouth County MA
    Quote:Yes, this was my feeling too. Good message, but hard to get through the abrasiveness.

6. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    i do like the story of their family..they just seem like really honest and down to earth people. [​IMG]

7. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Okay. I believe that we can disagree politely. So, here goes. [​IMG]

The only thing that I agree with them is to tie 'heart strings' to your children, but other then that I don't like their methods about child rearing or how to be a Christian wife.

Yes, I have read their work and spent a lot of time reading their web site.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by