ATTN: BLR Wyandotte breeders

I am easy to confuse.
wink.png
One of the replies fron the coop said I should breed my roo to a gold laced hen? What do you think of this? I have a nice, typey Gold laced hen, so i thought I would ask.

That would be a 'quick fix' but the golden laced would dilute the red, so you would end up with a blue laced gold, it could work though. When we had our laregfowl and needed to improve type, we crossed the roo to some black and blue hens that had great type. We kept all the pullets that had good type from that mating and bred them back to the father. The 2nd generation had good type and decent color. We then took the 2nd generation pullets that had the best type and best color and crossed them back to a BLR roo with good color. The 3rd generation looked great, they had great type and good color. One advantage to crossing to a black or blue is that we didnt have to worry about diluting the red, and we made our own strain of BLR's that werent really related to any of the other flocks.

Quote:
Humm... Youve given me alot to think about. Blue Laced Gold? lol . Its definately a project. lol I also have Blue Wyandottes coming in the first week of March. I will be busy!!

I just know some of it, I dont know any of the confusing genetic symbols like ig^ml+wC>sc, it is all confusing, I just know what happens when you do certain crosses. We used the same basic idea for dun laced, just used silver laced and duns instead of blue and blue laced red. Another pretty bird is blue laced silver, you can get them by crossing a silver laced roo to BLR hens, all chicks will be either blue laced silver or SL, some will show red, then just cross back to SL to get rid of the red, if you wanted to make a sexlink with BLR and SL, cross a BLR roo to SL hens, the roos will be SL and the hens will be BLR I think.

DUN LACED? Oh, my. You must tell me HOW. I think dun is so pretty. Or just dun coloring, period.

I might be able to help a little. I know a bit about the color, but not too much about shape.

Color: The rooster has a better red base color, while the hens are too light. The hens also have a visible "vein" through the feather which is undesirable but really, really hard to eliminate.

Comb: The rooster's comb is pretty good, but the hens' are a little off shaped, but they might improve with age.

Don't feel bad about the color, its really hard to find the true red variety and its even harder to breed it.

Back
Top Bottom