Auction help

Glad you did ok. Thinking of buying some layer chicks from Ideal, raising them till feathered out, then selling. Thought it might offset the costs of getting my own small flock. But selling them for $5 each wouldn't work. >deep sigh< Wonder what the market will look like in 2-3 months.

Glad you did ok. Thinking of buying some layer chicks from Ideal, raising them till feathered out, then selling. Thought it might offset the costs of getting my own small flock. But selling them for $5 each wouldn't work. >deep sigh< Wonder what the market will look like in 2-3 months.
The best market is early spring here----Point Of Lay pullets bring $15 to $20+ a lot of times.

Good job Brett!

So I bit the bullet and ordered 25 mixed layer chicks today. Ameraucanas, black australorps, delawares, gold sex links, cuckoo Marans, and a leghorn x barred rock hybrid. I'll aim for keeping about 8 for my personal layer flock and selling the rest in about three to five months. Less than $100 including shipping. And all vaccinated. Not really any more trouble raising 25 than 10. I know a lot of folks don't like fooling with chicks. I'm glad to do it for them and thus get my own birds essentially for free. :thumbsup

Good job Brett!

So I bit the bullet and ordered 25 mixed layer chicks today. Ameraucanas, black australorps, delawares, gold sex links, cuckoo Marans, and a leghorn x barred rock hybrid. I'll aim for keeping about 8 for my personal layer flock and selling the rest in about three to five months. Less than $100 including shipping. And all vaccinated. Not really any more trouble raising 25 than 10. I know a lot of folks don't like fooling with chicks. I'm glad to do it for them and thus get my own birds essentially for free. :thumbsup
I do essentially the same, I just bought a farm innovations 4200 at auction for 20.00 to grow my hatching operation, I love raising them from eggs to sell.

:frowHi Brett! Sounds both enjoyable and profitable. No roosters allowed here. I'm in an old neighborhood with very large lots, but still within city limits. No grandfather laws to cover me either. Dang it.

Pretty sure I've never ordered from Ideal before, but most reviews I could find looked good. And they are almost close enough to drive to. Almost, but at 5-6 hours round trip without traffic, not quite. HE said he wasn't up for that, and he wasn't letting me go alone. He's kind of careful of me. He probably realizes he too ornery to expect anyone else to take care of him in his old age, so he better keep me around! :lau

How far are you from DFW? What breeds do you work with? Got anything you think I need to give a try down here?

Hehe. Maybe one day we'll get further out of town, but probably not happening real soon. I've only been on this property 7-8 years, but HE raised his family here. So he's got roots almost 30 years old here. He's also a far more social animal than I am, so he needs to be able to get to town regularly. To get him somewhere truly rural, I'd have to make it too attractive for friends and family to stay away from. I'm up for the challenge, but pocketbook says otherwise for now.

ETA: we are slowly renovating and updating this place, which hadn't been touched in well over a decade. Some parts even longer. Once that's done, selling it for a small fortune is pretty easy. Location is fabulous and property around here is sought after. THEN the dream place in the country isn't just a dream any longer. Just gotta keep working the plan.

Back
Top Bottom