***AUCTION-SPLIT/LAVENDER PROJECT ORPINGTON EGGS***FS-OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off? what is a split/lavender? Sorry for the interuption in the bidding. Pretty chicks but have no Idea what the term means. Thanks Sandy

ok... trying to explain this... with the lavender chickens, there can be two appearances, but actually three genotypes. A certain pecentage of your birds will be just black. A certain percent will be just lavender. And another pwercent will be split black. Split black means they look black, but they carry the gene for lavender coloration. If you breed two split black birds, you will get some lavender chicks out them. Who knew black x black could equal purple huh? LOL.

Make sense?

Thanks yotetrapper for responding to that. To expand a little further, if you take a split/lav to a visually lavender bird, you will increase your percentages to 50/50 offspring. Meaning, you will get either visually lavender chicks, or split/lav chicks. Then, take visually lav birds to visually lav birds for 100% visually lav offspring.
I want to add also that you can use these chicks to continue the Orpington breeding....or use them to create other breeds of lavender chickens. With the lavender gene, the possibilities are endless!
yippiechickie.gif

Yes and thanks so much you did a great job explaining it! Pretty dern cool! Man I wish I had more room but right now Im full up! Darn the luck! Thanks again, Sandy

Quote:
You really don't know for sure until you breed them. However, I am seeing a silvery sheen on some of my black chicks at hatching, and not on others.

Thanks so much for posting that link Tuffoldhen! I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning to think straight..lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom