Audrey Update: she's not dead yet!

Renee

Songster
11 Years
May 7, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Hi all,
Audrey the hen, who looked like a goner yesterday, is running around, eating layer pellets, laying eggs, and drinking water. Unbelievable!

I had taken her stool sample in yesterday morning to the vet. They charged 41.00. It was tested, but they forgot to call me, so I called them an hour ago: only 1/2 of the test was back, and the doctor would call me. I convinced the receptionist it was urgent for me to know whether the chicken would infect the flock, and I told her that the animal was suffering, so she coughed up a little info: she told me it did not have worms or cocci. Hooray!

Twenty minutes later I charmed her into telling me that the rest of the test results were in, but she said I had to bring the chicken in and see the doctor (50.00). I asked if I could come down and just LOOK at the test results, and she said ok, tomorrow, but I went down tonight. The vet assistant said she thought she knew what was wrong with Audrey from the test results, but she wasn't going to tell me because I had to bring the hen in. She would not tell me what the results meant, either, not even to tell me if the chicken was Typhoid Mary, but she let me look at the page for a minute.
I managed to memorize this much on the page:

65% gram positive for rods
35% gram negative for cocci
negative for ova (or something like that)

Does anyone know what this means? Audrey looks okay right now, but I'm sure she's not out of the woods. Her poop still isn't right.
You guys are the best!!!
Renee

Are the vets just trying to drive you mental ??? Why the hell wont they just tell you ??? I dont understand why they have to be like that, its up to you if you bring the hen there or not and they should tell you either way (not only for you but for your flock) !!! What s**t heads !!!!!!!!

Keep us updated, and sorry I have no clue what any of that means, just being mad for you !!!!

Good luck, seems like your gonna need it !!!

that is not legal!!....i am telling you..if you paid for the tests..you CAN go and pick them up..at any time they are open...so..somethings not right with these people....so my advice is..go to the vets office..(since you paid for the tests..and are in the right)...go back to the office..and DEMAND the results..in your hand...they have to give them to you if you paid for them..if they wont give them over to you..call the police..(not the emergency #)..right there in front of them!....that should get them to move for you...now..i CAN see them not giving the results if you havent paid for the tests...and please understand..thats NOT what i'm saying about you here....so..i'll say it again..they can NOT keep those results from you....AND charge you $50 to tell you what they mean..that is included in the payment for them to take the tests..why would they charge you to tell you the results?..they are MORONS!!..and are crooks..:mad:...dont let them do that to you...best of luck..Wendy

Hi all,

Yeah, I know. The vet's gotta make a living too, though, and I believe they are covering their heinies by not giving out a diagnosis without seeing the hen.

The real problem is that my vet retired and I don't know this guy, (and he doen't know me). My old vet would have taken a phone call and told me what to do for no charge, he would have the sample tested in a reasonable period of time, and he would have recommended culling the bird if it was called for. It appears that the younger generation of vets in these suburbs are accustomed to pet owners that will mortgage their homes to get tests for their hamsters, so they are shocked when one balks at expensive treatments.

I may go back and get a copy of the test, but I assume they will have a xerox fee. I'll bet it's 50.00. Naw, but there may not be much more information than they already gave out. I just wanted to know if they suspected something treatable or something that would either be fatal or cost too much to repair. Oh well, I'll try a new vet tomorrow.
Renee

Monday call the state ag dept and ask to talk to either a state vet or the administrator for NPIP, another possibility would be the pathology lab and usually all are under the same roof.

How's this for service?
State Veterinarian, Richard Breitmeyer, DVM, MPVM
Director, Annette Whiteford, DVM
Special Assistant, Dave Preciado
1220 "N" Street, Room A-114
Sacramento, California 95814
Phone: 916-654-0881
Fax: 916-653-4249
[If you are using a TTY/TDD dial 1-800-735-2929
From all other locations dial 1-800-735-2922]

No ova refers to parasites..so no parasites present

are you sure it didnt say gram negative RODS and gram positive cocci???

That would make more sense....gram negative rods are E.Coli which is common is feces

gram positive cocci is more commonly known as Staphylococcus Aureus , AKA a staph infection....which can be treated by and penicillan type antibiotic...

I am a nurse who first when to school for laboratory technologist.....

Last edited:
Thanks nnbreeder! Excellent suggestion. I will ask them to tell me what this all means.

Love them nurses! Yes, chickiemomma, I'm sure about that part. So she may have a staph infection? I bought a disinfectant that is effective against staph today. I'm scrubbing out the henhouse and run tomorrow morning. If the State vet can tell me that it is staph, do you think I should treat it with Terramycin? I am not very keen on this sort of thing because I fear creating an antibiotic-resistant strain by under-medicating. I really don't want super-staph spreading around the yard...

I think it was either sammi or dlunicorn who suspected staph resulting from a broken egg inside of her. If I eat her and die, do you think DH could sue the vet? Just kidding.

I suppose there is always e.coli in droppings, so maybe the number refers to the amount and means something.

I'll let everyone know tomorrow, if the state offices are open.
Renee

Terramycin would be a good choice to knock everything out of her.

I think the gram positive cocci would b more of the causative ctor than the gram neg. rods...

What kind of symptoms is she having?

Staph infections are tricky- they are easily transmitted and can become more potent with each transmission- I would definately start the antibiotics.....

Back
Top Bottom