AudriAnna's Americauna's

Pics
Well I'm a bit underwhelmed at the help I got in the incubating eggs thread regarding a few questions I have. I have around 8 eggs in my little 12 egg incubator. ( it"s a lie about the 12 eggs though as my EE's and Australorp eggs are too large.
l am wondering if I should be seeing some movement or something since they went into lockdown last night. I didn't really see any the only other batch I hatched but that one I really never did a lock down and it was in a warmer and more humid time of year.
My humidity has been consistent at around 19-24% until yesterday. I've done all I can to raise it but still only at around 33-59%. I think those are consistent with dry hatching methods.
My other question after the seeing signs of movement is how the heck do I see through these dark colored eggs to actually see the chicks? I can see veins early in development stages. However as of last night all I can see is a dark blob and an air cell. I am pretty sure one or two of the eggs aren't developed as they are either fairly light inside or one has no air sac visible.
I am hoping to get some good development out of these eggs as I plan on trying to buy eggs in about a month. So I want to make sure the incubator is working fine first.

Well we've got 4 new chicks that hatched over the weekend. one straight up EE from Honor my wonder hen. Also managed to get one of the Australorps to hatch out which is probably an EE and Black Australorp cross. and 2 of my Black/Silver cross Ameraucana eggs hatched as well.
Honor's little one is very active friendly and curious. I really hope its a female as it's about the smartest and friendliest little chick I think I've ever seen. The EE-alorp is a cute little black and white bundle that isn't nearly as friendly but is getting better already. It's feet are a curious splash coloration of yellow and black.
The 2 Ameraucana pullet eggs hatched out a couple of tiny chicks and I had to rescue both> One because there was actually 2 membranes inside the egg and both were very thick and the little guy couldn't get out. The other one was just too weak to get out. Both are fine although the latter one has made me think I killed it for taking it out of the shell too early and thought I would come home to it being dead. It's doing much better but both are still noticeably not as active as the first 2.
I am definitely not going to try and hatch any more of the Ameraucana pullets eggs until they are much older and the eggs are bigger. Those two littles have driven me mad wondering if they're going to make it.
I have no problem with eating chicken or even slaughtering to process but being helpless while a chick or other animal slowly dies just really gets to me.
AudriAnna is fascinated with the chicks and the first three seem just as fascinated by her even more than anyone else. She's going to have such a way with animals it's spooky already. My older chickens last year used to gather around when I would bring her to the coop and stand perfectly still looking at her like my daughter was holding court and they were her loyal subjects.
I think Tolkien knows he's fathered some new babies as he's been a little struttier than usual,

That is so awesome, you make me feel proud of you.. I know how hard it is to mate and raise ameraucanas. My hen canna canna had success in raising 7 cannas all beautiful birds and so friendly. 4 roos and 3 pullets, I sold all 7 because I cant have 18 birds in my coop.. I'll say it again congratulations on your new peeps! :)

We're up to 6 of 8 at the moment. Last one hatched last night late. Over 23 days and poor thing has issues.
Covered in slimy sticky stuff so had to bath it. Probably will have to again in a few minutes. Doubt this little will make it but had doubts of 2 of the others.
On bright side 12 eggs are ready to go in and they were collected during the past few days of really warm weather.
Chick 6 in ICU and isolated so others can't bother it. Hope it makes it and improves soon or I'll have to put it down.....

Back
Top Bottom