AudriAnna's Americauna's

Pics

combatfuzzball

Songster
Mar 11, 2017
Clinton, Maine
Hello just wanted to do a better intro for anyone interested.
I just recently purchased a lot of 10 chickens from TSC mainly because I've always had the chicken bug. Here's how it started.
When I was around 4 my Mom and dad got divorced and my mom and I moved back home to Alabama. Shortly after getting our own place there around Easter my mom bought a chicken and a duck baby for me. I still remember them vaguely all I remember is mom would send me to the store her sister and brother and law owned for the day while she went to work and would pack myself and the 2 tiny birds to go with me. I must have been fairly good at feeding them because my Mom was always big on being responsible and it was months before we had to get rid of the chick and duckling due to their getting too big to live in our apartment. They found good homes with some family and I was once again chickenless.
Fast forward to around the age 12 and I decided to build a chicken incubator out of a box, thermometer, incandescent light, and a bowl of water. The reason why was for a science project for school. I actually got the idea for the incubator from one of mom's first cousins who had chickens and willing donated 6-7 fertilized eggs from his barnyard flock. Another cousin donated about the same and I suddenly had 14 American game chicken mutt eggs to attempt to hatch.
For around 3 weeks I was up early rotating eggs before school and rushing in to do the same after school. I was really excited when I could actually hear the chicks chirping inside their shells. Finally within a day or 2 just a bout all the eggs hatched. Only one didn't hatch although I waited several more days.
Nothing was cooler than being the only boy in town who was the leader of an entire flock of chicks. They ran to me everytime something scared them or I called them. Sometimes they'd come and just sit on my legs or in my lap.
Later on around 25 or so I finally had the chance to start another small flock. Bought a bunch of baby chicks at a Swap meet and was off and running again. I also got given a very old Hen I just called Momma. She ran the coop and the adolescent chicks new better than to mess with her. She went broody the first spring and sat on a good batch of eggs.
One morning hearing all heck breaking out at the coop I ran out to see all of the chickens running around basically screaming their heads off. Momma wasn't around so I figured she'd finally died and this scared the other chickens. So I walked int othe coop to check only to find Momma sitting firmly on her nest fully hackled and hissing and Bakkaing up a storm towards the back wall of her nest. Getting closer I saw that a Chicken snake had entered the nest through the wall and was trying to steal an egg from her. Unsuccessfully< I might add since Momma wasn't backing down and American Game Chicken moms are NOT something anyone should mess with. I had to tear open one wall of my homemade coop to get the snake out of the coop. Had to have been at least 12 foot long but was no match for Momma. Two days later it's mate tried the same thing with similar results.
Sadly Momma, my rooster Bugler, along with the rest died a few years later. Bugler after attempting to attack a Rhode Island Red my Uncle had given me. The rest were killed by a dog one day when I was at work.

Now I'm in my 50's and starting over everything basically. Just got remarried and have a beautiful baby girl named AudriAnna. Bought a nice house out in the country. In an area with tons of dairy farms. Just loving that country air stink and all.
I'm determined to give this baby the best so a nice house and yard to grow and play in. Also for me it's important that she grow up Country. Not being able to buy a lot of land I have lobbied hard with the wife over getting chickens. Something small and interesting that I love that maybe I can pass on to my daughter. Looking forward to watching my little chickens grow up along with my daughter.
She'll be to little for a while to enjoy it but in a year or two she'll be able to toddle out to help gather eggs and maybe even hatch some of her own chickens from our little flock of Americauna's.

Well a little bummed about getting EE's instead of Americauna's. I think it's pretty crappy that they can sell EE's and list them as Americana or even Americauna's without any consequences.
I did the best I could researching Aracauna/Americauna as well as Easter eggers. Not a snob about these being "just" EE's. I was however hoping to get pureblood chicks so that I could work with my daughter to help preserve one of these really cool breeds.
Oh well lesson learned and maybe sometime next year I can get a breeding pair to work with. My wife has no experience with Chicken math I definitely don't want to overwhelm her right off the bat. Took some work to talk her into these and I'll have to be a good boy and show her I can take care of these before I get more. LOL

Well found out the Americauna's I was wanting to buy turned out to be glorified Easter Egger chickens. THANK YOU SO MUCH HOOVER HATCHERY. Won't be buying from you on or off line any more. Still happy with the ones I have and to gi ve Hoover props they did send 11 instead of the 10 I ordered. 3 died within 3 days but rest are doing awesome at the 3 mont mark. I did buy 6 Australorps to add to my flock. I think the more settled gentle nature plus the much higher egg production will help out my flock and the ggs We plan on selling or hatching. I do plan on adding Americauna's the REAL kind as a separate tiny flock to breed but I'm happy with the flock right now and especially at how calm these little Australorps are. I have nicknamed the entire batch The Littles since they're 3 weeks behind my EE's.
Super excited that one of my 3 week old EE's decided to try and warm them out as well as wallowing out a nest.
If it's any consolation to you, IMO, EE are much more productive. Want a heritage breed to work on improving? Might I suggest the lovely Dominique. Fantastic personality, friendly, excellent forager. If paired with the right (almost any non barred or white) rooster, the Dom will produce beautiful Black Sex Link chicks. And Dom chicks are auto sexing. Their rose comb that sits close to the head makes them less prone to frost bite. When you pair that rose comb with the pea comb of an EE, you get a delightful little petite walnut come in the next generation. What's not to love in a sex linked chick with a walnut comb that grows up to give you olive eggs???? They also make nice broody hens, are not aggressive in a flock. They make great eye candy when free ranging. The only flaw that I can see is that Dom eggs are not as large as some other breeds. But, with all the Dom has going for her, that's such a minor issue! Dom personality and temperament blend extremely well with EE. BTW, I really like Doms, and EE!!! Could you guess???

Last edited:
Very Happy today. FINALLY one of my Black Australorps started laying yesterday. Then last night my EE Eggs I put in my brooder started hatching. So far we have 4 brand new and healthy chicks with at least 4 more working on hatching out now.
So far I have 1 from Uhura definitely, and one from Honor. the other 2 hatched are from the mostly blue egg. Still haven't figured out if that is Esmay or Leia. I'm betting on Leia since Esmay and Uhura look a lot alike and Leia's entirely different from the other 3.
Especially happy since many people had told me eggs from pullets less than a year old would die in the shell.
I am pretty sure that either Heinlien or Jules are the fathers as they were the most dominate of the roosters at the time. Doubtful I will keep any of the Roosters out of this hatch which means I'll have some for more food this winter.
Learned a valuable lesson when it comes to slaughtering chickens. It's best to place them in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days so they will be more tender. First one we had was tasty but mostly inedible as it was tough as truck tires. I froze them as soon as I got back from the slaughter house. Hoping I can salvage them by letting any I cook from now on thaw out and or brine and maybe cook in my slow cooker.
Audrianna now has Actual Ameracauna chicks along with Easter Egger's and Black Australorps.
Plan is to sell eggs if possible either for eating or hatching once I get my NPIP certification. Will also be able to sell live chicks then as well. Now we're up to 18 chicks and hoping the remaining 7 eggs hatch. Wish Us luck.

We're up to 7 out of the original 12 eggs hatched and chicks doing fine. Honor the hen had 4 eggs in the dozen one of which went bad. The other 3 hatched. Uhura's monster of a first egg also hatched as well as I believe 2 of Leia's and one of Esmay's or vice versa. I have a feeling Honor's babies are going to look like their momma while Uhura's is going to look like Jules I'm thinking. Crossing my finger's on the other 4 eggs but I'm fairly happy with a bit over 50% motility especially on such young hens. I am going to have my entire flock NPIP certified First of next month.
I have also sold some eggs as well as given some away. I will also be advertising on a friends start-up website for small farms.

Sorry I haven't posted in so long. It's been a severely cold winter and I've been swamped with work and everything else. I am so glad my chickens survived temps of -30 and possibly lower for weeks on end. VERY rough winter. Sadly a little stray kitten that adopted the chickens as family froze to death about a month ago. I am really upset about it as I was trying to catch it so I could at least give it better shelter than living with the chickens. More upset at the idiot that threw it out because it wasn't wanted.
In happier news My Ameraucana's are finally laying. So I have blue, green pink and brown eggs in the house now. I am hoping to be able to sell my black australorps though so I can concentrate on my Silver Ameraucana's, and Easter Egger flocks. Silver Ameraucana's are about the rarest of the Ameraucana breeds and they are also challenging to breed. I think I have a fairly decent rooster but I have at least one Hen that is simply gorgeous. I'll have to get some pics of her for here soon.

Nine eggs at about day 5 now and looking like only one is a dud.
Also have another 24 in another incubator at day 2.
So far our hatch rate on two hatches of a total of 19 eggs is 2 duds, 3 failed to hatch, and 2 that failed to thrive and didn't make it.
First hatch of 11 there were 6 that lived and all were pullets. Last hatch of 8 five are now over a week old and guessing only two are Roosters.
AudriAnna loves them and I caught her giving them some of her food .
Chicks are now in basement and in brooder until they fully feather.
Hopefully I can find buyers for all the chicks that could potentially hatch in a few weeks. Based on my averages so far I'm thinking around 20 or so chicks will make it past the day 3 after hatching. Way to many chicks. Lol

Back
Top Bottom