August 2021 Hatch-A-Long

I haven't had much luck with duck eggs, last lot of Khakis I got 0 out of 12, none even started but if nothing comes from these the Leghorn and quail will still keep me on my toes, plus my Muscovy drake is finally showing interest in the ladies so I might end up overrun with Muscovy and "mulards"
We've got Muscovy too but they are all girls. I was sure one was a boy. She's huge and built like a tank, not at all delicate and feminine like our other girls. She's got the biggest breast I've ever seen on a duck too, but she's definitely a girl and is currently sitting on infertile eggs under my shed even though it's winter. Two others are also broody and the other two have recently given up on their nests of eggs. Crazy ducks.

Will you brood your quails together? I found the Buttons were calmer when brooded with the Coturnix. We only have Coturnix now as the kids like to handle them (which Buttons do not appreciate).

no I normally brood them separate although I do sometimes brood the coturnix with chickens. We do handle the buttons a lot though, enough to get them calm when they move into my bird aviaries and I have to enter to feed, water and clean.

one of the ducks has laid two eggs (different days), not sure if Muscovy or runner but I threw the second one in the incubator anyway. Might collect a weeks worth and then do a batch of them and then see if anyone wants to go broody on any other laid after that. that will really up my chances of getting ducklings lol

Did an early candle. Saw 5 out of the 12 Leghorn developing. I have three duck eggs laying flat that I'm manually turning and saw two with the starts of little embryos, I didn't candle the other two I have upright and tilted due to free floating air cells. Not bothering with the quail eggs yet

I have 11 English Araucana eggs developing and 3 tiny mixed breed bantam eggs. Some were added a few days after the first lot started (I was worried fertility wouldn't be great as it's winter here), and because my 3 araucana hens each gave me an egg on the day I swore I wouldn't add any more (I'd only been getting 1 or 2 a day from them before that and I can't tell their eggs apart).

Will be interesting to see what hatches as my Araucana are an experiment (I'm hoping for some gold birchens) and who knows with the bantam eggs.

Jumbo coturnix eggs weren't fun to candle. 48 eggs set and there was only 14 good eggs and 2 quitters. so many clears!! 5 chicken and 5 duck still looking good. mine are all clear. I might candle the buttons properly before lockdown but I know some are developing after a quick peek at a few with my phone light

Hatch-a-long-aholic here from July :frow
I was a bit disappointed that I only hatched 8 chicks in July...so
now I've got 26 more Light Sussex eggs baking at the moment, due on the 12th August.
This time I was really picky about the weight, had to be 60g/2,12 oz or more, as far as my breed goes. I didn't bother that much in July. Fertility is better this time too, all seem to be developing last time candled on day 6. I wasn't expecting that.

Back
Top Bottom