*** AUGUST HATCH-A-LONG come join in ***

Kedreeva ... I will probably break down & buy it today. I have a road trip coming on later this week to pick up some BR & RIR's. Turning my own & losing them seems to be okay but a 2 hour road trip & money on eggs ... not worth the chance. That means I will be putting eggs in later this week & not when I thought. I'm excited though. Lots to learn. : )

Exciting! Our RIR's are excellent layers, huge brown eggs that are DELICIOUS. Our barred rocks are not QUITE old enough to start laying, but it should be soon! Good luck with that hatch!

This is my first time with fertilized eggs and a broody hen so I'm collecting eggs now and will put them under my Delilah and I guess we'll see what happens. If they hatch they hatch and if they don't then I'll keep working on it and maybe buy an incubator.

Oh before this thread gets too far along! I will post the link to the egg chain here too, in case anyone wants to get some hatching eggs for august from other BYCers.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=326027

My polish eggs are the current offer, but I've seen BCM, Olive Eggers, golden lakenvelders, button quail, 'bantam suprise' (various purebred bantams), orps, leghorns, turkens, bobwhites.... lots of cool stuff if you're looking to get something cool and new to add to your flock! Unfortunately you can only offer purebred eggs to the next person, so that kind of eliminates anyone with mixed blood flocks or who can't separate their purebreds... but still fun if you CAN participate.

Edit: I forgot to add- my polish were up because I offered on the golden lakenvelders... so add those to the list of chickies I am hatching in august!!!

Last edited:
I received 22 unbroken hatching eggs of uniform size today. Very nice packing job hinkjc.
thumbsup.gif
It is 16 black Orpingtons and 8 Araucana. They are settling right now and will go in the bator tomorrow. This will be my last hatch this year.
sad.png
I hope do get my own broodies and have my own fertilized eggs out of the eggs I have hatched so far. I can hardly wait. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Quote:
Just think, you'll be able to candle on Day 7 (or Day 10 - even easier to candle & see the dark mass/chick). Then you'll know if the eggs are fertile.

You might want to pencil mark you eggs with the "date (month/day)" or an X on one side, and an "0" on the other side. That way you'll be able to monitor the egg turner, to check & see that it's working. Best of luck to you!

Happy hatching everyone!!

I candled my Silkie eggs today, 7 out of 8 have chicks! I am so happy, our past luck with shipped eggs has been bad.
celebrate.gif

My eggs arrived and I moved the broody to her new house. She is a super star...hopped right on those eggs and got to work. I feel a little bad she has been sitting on other eggs for two weeks already and now she is starting over. I hope she sticks with it. These lavender orp eggs were kind of pricey.

My peacock eggs arrive yesterday (with an extra
celebrate.gif
) and my silkie eggs from Kelar on BYC made it to the post office for pick up (With -18- eggs instead of just 12!!!!
ep.gif
). I mailed the BCM seller and he apparently only shipped them yesterday (though he should have shipped them monday, as I paid for them sunday!) and I will be waiting on the lakenvelders to lay more eggs (which is perfectly fine, I was not expecting so many extras, so a week's time to tell who's not gonna start is a god send). I will set the peacock and silkie eggs today when I get home from work
bun.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
bun.gif

So excited!~ Silkies will be new for me
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom