*** AUGUST HATCH-A-LONG come join in ***

Hope they all hatch for you! In the second row from the top (as we look at the monitor) on the left -- is the lower end of the white egg somewhat smooshed or is it a trick of the camera? I'd hate to have it go bad in the incubator if it's squashed a bit. Plus, it's early enough you could probably sneak a replacement egg in there, I'd think.

Quote:
Yes u are correct egg # 7 is smooshed on one end I don't know if my dad did this while collecting or if his hen did it?? i did not know if it would still work or not the membrane is not damaged at all????
idunno.gif
I will not replace it if it goes bad i'll remove it I so many others. I read on here some people tapeing the cracks does this work?? or no?

i opened the incubator yesterday to check the eggs and had a rather unpleasant smell great me so recandled all the eggs and ended up removing 2 more so now i'm at 11 out of 31 eggs in the incubator and down to 1 out of 2 under my broody.
fl.gif
that the ones left hatch . i'm on day 13 now. good luck everyone hopeing i have some too
smile.png

*bounces around* I candled my silkie eggs (shipped to me from Kelar on BYC) and it looks as if every single one of them (aside from the 'project' eggs I was unsure of for going anyway) is growing something! It's only day three, I know, but I can see membrane spreading around the tops of the eggs, and even a few little veins in some of them!

This is, of course, both fortunate and unfortunate... I'm supposed to have some more eggs coming in and I was (pessimistically) expecting that at least a quarter of my shipped eggs would show no progress and thus make room! Buuuut if I have to buy or build another incubator, I don't think my heart will break *shifty eyes*

afishel,

While some people have had success with candle wax over a tiny crack, I think it probably fails more than it works.

As badly as that one looks like it is smushed, I'd take it out. It will probably rot as the eggs incubate. Then, it could explode rotten egg all over the good eggs that are growing.

With that much damage, it also may have a "scrambled yolk" inside would make it 100% certain it won't develop.

Unless that particular egg is worth more than all the others put together, I wouldn't risk it. It is up to you, of course.

Last edited:
Well, down to two eggs now out of 16
hit.gif
Ten clears (never started) 2 barely started (day one or two) 1 blood ring (day 7) 1 quitter (day 11) and two growing. One is an over-sized egg and quite porus. Can't see well into it, but pretty sure I saw movement. The other egg has heavey veining and a very active bouncing baby! So fun to see and I'm hopelessly attached to the little bugger already
love.gif
For shipped eggs their air cells are incredibly perfect, which gives me hope!!
big_smile.png

I have a fbcm broody who I think will hatch her chicks around Aug 11th. I'm not really sure on the date. I started counting when she started staying in the box on her eggs during the night as well as during the day....so I hope they all hatch lol.

Back
Top Bottom