51848_p1000421.jpg

Silkie - Duh.
smile.png

51848_p1000423.jpg

Blue (?) Orpington

51848_p1000424.jpg

More silkie.
smile.png

Final results: 4 hatched by themselves - then 1 zipped and I go out to check on him in an hour and he still wasn't out so my mom told me to go ahead and help him out, opened up the shell and he had died!
hit.gif
Why? He has zipped and then just ...
th.gif
hit.gif

The the other one had pipped and didn't do anything else so I though I don't want this one to die as well so I helped him out and he is doing great. I almost got to have a 100 % hatch rate ... Almost
roll.png

So what % would you call it now? 90 - 95 % hatch rate?
Well at least I have 5 healthy buttons!
thumbsup.gif

I had one zip and die yesterday too. I was KICKING myself as just 10 minutes before I decided to help it was chirping. Nice healthy looking chick too, no yolk sac hanging out or anything. Very sad.
sad.png

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Final results: 4 hatched by themselves - then 1 zipped and I go out to check on him in an hour and he still wasn't out so my mom told me to go ahead and help him out, opened up the shell and he had died!
hit.gif
Why? He has zipped and then just ...
th.gif
hit.gif

The the other one had pipped and didn't do anything else so I though I don't want this one to die as well so I helped him out and he is doing great. I almost got to have a 100 % hatch rate ... Almost
roll.png

So what % would you call it now? 90 - 95 % hatch rate?
Well at least I have 5 healthy buttons!
thumbsup.gif

Oh Fluffy how sad. I had one that did the same thing. It piped and cherped and I left it as it was our first chick. I heard it at 3am but thought oh it will be hatched by morning. In the morning it was dead and I was so sad because if I knew it was in trouble I could have done something at 3am it was my last opertunity to help and I didn;t. It is hard when that happens. I don;t know why they die like that. We had two others after that we did help and they are fine. Your doing good kid - very often one or two die for no reason we can see. Seldom is there ever 100% hatches all of the time.

Oesdog - keep going with the others you do have!
smile.png

Just a heads up - I have two chickies left in my brinsea to dry off - one is a cute little showgirl silkie (the only one I got!) that was coated in egg white. Been taking it off a little at a time and popping her back in with another silkie for company. I candled all the remaining eggs - most were obviously dead (blood, weird air sacs, no movement...) but one MOVED!! Ack! No peeping, just movement when candled. I don't have much hope for it but it's back in the bator with the last two chicks.
smile.png
So candle em before you toss em!

Congrats on all the hatches! And thanks for the lovely pictures, that certainly brightens my day
smile.png
I'm so glad to hear of all the successes
celebrate.gif

My lakenvelder died overnight, sadly. He was in really poor shape and it's probably for the best. I should have left him in with the peachicks instead of the chicken chicks... they were sleeping with him just fine in my bed!

Oh well... now to console myself by cuddling some featherbutts and killing some monsters in warcraft!

Back
Top Bottom