Aumeraucana stopped laying after only 5 eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Grantchick, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Grantchick

Grantchick New Egg

Oct 4, 2015
    Greetings!
    I have 5 chickens: 1 Black Australorp, 3 Buff Orpingtons and 1 Aumeraucana.
    We got them 3 days old and all of them started laying after roughly 5/6 months.
    Since Aumeraucana's eggs are green, we were able to tell easily when Little Moe
    started to lay eggs. After only 5 eggs, there was no sign of green eggs. It's been now
    since Sept 8th without any green eggs. I searched the coop and outdoors high and low
    without sign of any part of shell. I examined Little Moe, he seems healthy and eating well.
    They eat crumble with occasional scratch couple times a week and some bread/veggie
    scraps. Help! I was really looking forward to have green eggs. :) Thank you for
    any and all suggestions!

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

If you free range your birds, you might want to coop them up for a week,
    both to see who is laying and habituate them to laying in the coop nests.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers.
    Leaving them locked in the coop for 2-3 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests.
    They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon.
    You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by