Auracan Laying Broken Eggs

Oloughlin65

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2021
Waikato, New Zealand, Australasia
My Auracana has been in our flock of four, for about 3 years.
It is possibly inbred (it is hard to find the Auracana breed where I live) and is laying eggs broken on contact.
The shell is soft and very smooth but broken on contact. I am fairly sure that the eggs are not broken by the others as I checked afterwards.
It has been laying eggs fine for 2 years and for the first season it laid perfectly, however, during the second season its eggs started breaking.
Its third season has just started and we hoped it would not still have broken eggs.
We have no roosters, skunks, foxes or anything that should be frightening it apart from our 2 kittens (however we introduced them 2 months ago)
Please help me

What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Any other birds having weak shells?

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @Oloughlin65
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1627043601581.png

View attachment 2770681
My chickens are on a mash feed with proper calcium levels and none other have gotten broken eggs so far. Our Auracana occasionally flys over the net for a few hours. I was trying to get oyster shells, but there are not supplied out here where we live, and thought if no other chickens had this problem, it probably isnt calcium. I will try and get oyster shells as fast as I can though/

View attachment 2770681

View attachment 2770681
Sorry didnt see your second post, I actually joined because of this problem. Anyway we live in New Zealand North Island. We are lower hemisphere, so we are nearing the end of winter, and starting our new laying season. We have only had 3 or 4 light frosts this entire winter.

The calcium and protein percent is in the pictures below. We feed them most of our scraps. (of-course nothing inedible, like chickens, nightshade family, Potato skins etc...)
Sorry I could not take photos before as it was night, however:

Attachments

• chicken 1.jpg
    chicken 1.jpg
    586.7 KB · Views: 6
  • chicken.jpg
    chicken.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • chickens.jpg
    chickens.jpg
    497.4 KB · Views: 5
Might try cutting out all the scraps for a week or so, see if that helps.
They'll eat more of their mash, which has everything they need.
...and/or give her a special private treat daily with a calcium supplement in it.

We normally let them free range for a few hours on our property a day, however we have been a lot stricter due to the new laying season and them laying in awkward places (we have git them laying in their nesting boxes now though) We will keep them in their coop without scraps for a week and see if it helps. then I will move onto oyster shells. If that does not work I will resume this thread and assume that it is an illness or genetic mutation.
One last thing, does that auracana look normal, and will that cat drinking in their water box be affecting them in anyway?

Back
Top Bottom