Aurcana, EE or other

If it dos have a green tent to its egg and I breed it with a blue maran will it make an olive egger

It could if the bird in question has at least 1 blue gene. Having the pea comb makes it more likely it has a blue gene. If it does, then it becomes a matter of Punnett Square math of what you will get if you breed with a purebred Blue Marans (breeding mixed breed with mixed breed produces too many varying results to make it easily computed).

If it has 1 blue gene, then typically, mathematically, you'll get 50% brown and 50% olive green (varying shades)...but that is statistically true. Just like you can flip a coin 4 times and get all heads, if you flip long enough you will get 50% heads and 50% tails, or a close proximation.

But the shade of green will vary depending upon the genetics. There are a lot more genetics that go into the brown layer than the blue layer, so you could get varying shades of green from olive to lighter with of course plain brown as well. Typically if you breed a light brown layer (assuming it could be an EE/Wyandotte and carries the lighter Wyandotte brown) and a dark brown layer, you get a color in between the dark and the light brown...so a medium. Add over that the blue gene for the varying colors of olive and green.

So it is possible but not a quick assessment. You'll have to breed this hen (after she's grown and laying), then carefully monitor those chicks to see what the genes may be like as they mature and begin to lay. Breeding the chicks back to the parents can refine the traits you are looking for in the 2nd and 3rd generations.

If you are interested in breeding for egg color ( a favorite wish of mine thus I've done some research), this is a good article and website on genetics : https://scratchcradle.wordpress.com/2012/07/01/gms1-genetics-of-egg-color/

LofMc

Last edited:

So can you tell me what this pair is since I know they are not Ameraucana?

Back
Top Bottom