aureomycin

4everacres

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 22, 2013
Iowa
so, aureomycin, good or bad for laying hens, and how do i use it? I want to know how long to isolate and withdraw the eggs before I can sell, eat the eggs again. thanks.

Aureomycin (chlortetracycline) in feed used to be used routinely to help prevent enteritis in chickens, but not permitted now in commercial layers. It can be used in backyard flocks to treat certain diseases such as enteritis, mycoplasma, and coccidiosis. What are you using it for? Dosage is hard to gage since it is mixed in the feed. There are other more precise medications to use however, depending on what you are treating. I believe most tetracycline medications have a 21 day withdrawal time for eggs.

sneezing, mucousy cough. I don't see mucus, but I can hear it, she seems ok though. eats and drinks. all the vets I called don't want anything to do with chickens, and I live in the country!

It sounds like a respiratory infection. If your feed store carries Tylan 50 injectable for cattle, then I would give her that for 5 days either orally or as a shot in the breast muscle for 3 days. Dosage is 0.2 ml per pound. Oxytetracycline powder is another drug that you can give in her water, but Tylan is better.

Last edited:
thank you!
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom