Aurora Co law up for review again - need resources

We got caught, but only because another neighbor let a rooster run free in the neighborhood. The neighbors knew we had chickens, and though we said the roo wasn't ours, we had to get rid of them. They gave us a few weeks and never checked back, but I was tired of being sneaky and worrying. Another man I know on our change-the-ordinance team had some and got caught because his yard backs up to an alley and the city person saw them. That person wasn't as accommodating and he had 48 hours, changed to one week to find them a new home. There are hens somewhere in the neighborhood now (I can hear them) and another friend has them and hasn't gotten caught. It depends largely on how visible your back yard is, how secure you keep them, and if your neighbors care.

You know my neighbor also has a chicken and rooster. I really want to get some chickens but worry that the rooster is all ready making to much noise. I don't want to get caught I want to change the law. Thanks for the advice I will be calling.

Hi Ciscobob &
welcome-byc.gif
I am also a new chicken keeper "hiding"
hide.gif
I mean living in Aurora Right now. I have 3 chickens hatched on May17th. My first batch were all Roosters
he.gif
so we returned them and got 3 more...which are now all pullets =). One plus that I may have in my situation is I have no alley behind us for someone to drive down and "check in" , a large backyard that has two levels one more hidden and away from everyone than the other and neighbors who really dont care...so crossing my fingers we get approved before i get found out. ;) I'll be crossing my fingers for you too now
fl.gif
Good luck
Veronica

I have an alley behind us and we let our ladies run around the yard when we are home. Just to be safe I am thinking about turning the side of the house into a long chicken run because our neighbors are good with our hens. I do have friends who have volunteered to harbor our illegals if we get caught, and by then I hope to Aurora changes its ideas about our "pets with wings".

I realize this isn't what this thread is meant for, but I recently moved to Aurora and had to rehome my chickens. I still have my mealworm farm though. Is anyone in Aurora willing to trade eggs for mealworms? They are a great source of fresh, live protein in the winter, and chickens go crazy over them. You can send me a private message as to not hijack this thread. Thanks!!!

The animal control guy made some quip about how if it were allowed then "all the Mexicans" would have hens all over the place. Which is racist BS. And even if it were true, if we had acceptable guidelines, then those would have to be followed.

Help?

I have heard the same thing multiple times. I've told this story on another thread a year or two ago but its worth repeating. After a tornado went through my area, a work crew cutting up fallen tree came to my door asking if we needed anything cut down. The man saw that i had a few chickens in my front yard. When i opened to door he was shocked seeing i was Caucasian and said "You live here with chickens? Why are you living like a mexican?". I strongly suspect the racist stereotype of all hispanics coming into the country with goats and chickens is what prompted many of the laws prohibiting chickens.

I would find out what political ideology your local politicians adhere to. If they are either strongly liberal or strongly conservative, it could work in your favor if you use the right buzzword and appeal to their zeal. I think it would be harder if they were a moderate.

If liberal the buzzwords are: Sustainable, low carbon footprint, and animal welfare. Example: "Having a few hens in the backyard will help our community reduce its carbon footprint, become more environmentally sustainable, and ease the suffering of abused chickens in inhumane factory farms"

If conservative the buzzwords are: Self reliance, work, depending on government. Example: "Allowing the hard working people of our community to keep a few hens will reduce our reliance on governmental food assistance, and help encourage self reliance for our food security."

Also it might help to point out how chickens are treated in battery farms. Here's a video from mercy for animals. Warning its graphic
0.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks - the buzz words is a really good idea.

To update on where we are - we have gotten our six votes; the details of the changed ordinance will be ironed out tomorrow in study session. Then it will be officially voted on next month. Then it will take a few months to get all the hens in a row. So if all goes as planned, they will be legal by this summer. We did it!!!

I'm glad to hear this update. Maybe one of these days I'll get out of an apartment and can have chickens again! Thanks for everyone's hard work in making this happen!

Back
Top Bottom