Township trying to take 10-year old girl's pets away -- support needed ASAP

I'm hoping the BYC "flock" can show some support for a sweet little girl battling College Township, PA for her right to keep her beloved pet hens. It takes a special kind of cruelty to rip a 10-year-old girl's pets away from her during a pandemic, but that's exactly what the bullies in the township office are hell-bent on doing to poor Maeve Elliot and her family, based on one of the most ridiculous interpretations of an ordinance I've ever seen -- the zoning officer apparently considers any vegetable garden or pet hen to be operating a "farm" in a residential area.

If you could spare some time, Maeve's family has created a petition to township officials here, and they also have a Facebook page, "Save Maeve's Side-Eyed Queens." They need all the support and input they can get right now, especially from other chicken owners. They're also encouraging respectful messages to the township urging them to update/clarify their ordinances instead of bullying a 10 year old girl, who did her research before getting the birds and was told by a township councilwoman that hens were legal pets. Here's the full, sad story, from the Centre Daily Times:
Have you asked if the girl has any form of anxiety disorder? They could use that to fight it, if she does.

Then under a car…. 😳 I was forever chasing my neighbours chooks off the road, one by one gone to cars. Poor chooks 😢
This is how skittishness saves lives. It's a good character trait for 5 pound birds. My chickens don't go within 30 feet of a human they don't recognize, much less 2000 pound loud, fast metal things

Back
Top Bottom