Aurora Ohio Chickens

Hi neighbor! We also have chickens on our property and are submitting a variance since we have less than 3 acres. We are applying tomorrow and should be on the agenda for the next meeting, which should be the 2nd Wed. in October. We have an attorney handling the process so I'll keep you posted on how it goes. You may wish to attend the meeting in support if it will help your cause.

That is awesome.I wish you luck and hope they approve the variance. I would love to attend but with my work schedule it is impossible. Please keep us updated on how it goes. I hope this can be a good first step in the right direction.

Hi! I'm new on this site, live in Aurora, but we've had chickens for a few years now. We are looking at expanding (possibly getting bees and goats, too), so I was looking into regulations etc and found this thread. I didn't have much luck finding any useful information on Aurora's website. Since this thread is from 2015 I was wondering if you knew if anything has changed? Thanks in advance.

As far as I know nothing has changed. If you go to council you could try and get them to change ordinances. Good luck. They did not seem interested in making changes to their expensive trailer park. They are afraid of it hurting property values of their gated subdivisions.All they need to do is place a limit on number of chickens, no roosters on less then 3 acres. That would take care of the less then 3 acre people and not affect others with more property. Put a clause that home owners association has final say if you are in a development. But as far as I understand if you have more then 3 acres and basically at least 200 ft frontage you can have chickens, goats, bees. All must be 100 ft from any line. My advice keep it clean and quiet (no roosters). And out of eye sight. And love your neighbors.

Hi all! I am the newest one to be told by the city that I cannot have chickens and to not even bother with a variance because it will not be approved. I was told until the ordinance about chickens on less than 3 acres is changed, the zoning board will follow this decision and deny them. I am also going to try to work with the city council. My question for you all is, are you interested in working with me or know others that are so we can gather a base of public support? Did the council specifically cite property values as their main concern? Were there other reasons? Finally, which members did you talk to that were supportive or opposed? I have also emailed our state house representative in support of Ohio house bill 175 in the hopes this will pass in the next year or so. Aurora is behind the times in allowing chickens, hopefully if enough of us pull together we can change the rules!

Hello! We're looking at moving back to Ohio from Virginia; one of the cities we're looking at is Aurora. I know this thread is old, but what are the rules for chickens in Aurora? Do you need a minimum of three acres? The house we're looking at has five. I checked the town's website but didn't see anything. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom