Aussie Flies!

Pamdsa

Chirping
Jul 21, 2021
So today we had a lovely warm day here in Melbourne and the flies came out in great number!! I have a fly trap in my chicken yard - Envirosafe. It’s working but I can’t decide if it’s attracting more flies than I would otherwise have. Anyway, Summer is approaching and I was hoping for some suggestions of tried and true natural ways to keep flies at bay. Obviously regular cleaning and I use DE. I’m thinking of throwing some cinnamon quills around the yard? Any and all ideas welcome 😃.

I get a spray bottle of water and add 5-10 drops of peppermint essential oil and 5-10 drops of lavender (I'm out) so I used Eucalyptus Essential Oil. I spray area where I'm sitting and my exposed arms/legs. It keeps flies mosquitoes etc.... away. There are several different oils that repel pests. Lemongrass-but it makes me itch, so I stay away from it. There are others-google essential oils that repel pests, and try them til you find one that works and a Scent you like.
I also spray coop nightly-it helps with mosquitoes. Not sure how long it lasts but that's what I have used for years.

I use permethrin.I don't know if you can get it there. No egg withdrawal period. I had an issues with mites and lice in the past. I think the wild birds introduce the pests. I also had a serious issues with flies. When I went out to the coops and work I sweat, and the flies are attracted to sweat. They were terrible. After I sprayed my coops for mites, I also noticed a great reduction of flies. In areas that I don't want to spray I use fly rolls. They help but you have to be very careful where you put then, they are very sticky, You just throw them away. I hope you were able to solve the fly issue. Try Amazon.com. Good luck and have fun...

Attachments

• PermethrinSprayR.jpg
    PermethrinSprayR.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 3
  • PermethrinSpray.jpg
    PermethrinSpray.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 3
  • FlyRoll.jpg
    FlyRoll.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210605_103004.jpg
    20210605_103004.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210623_184717.jpg
    20210623_184717.jpg
    495 KB · Views: 3
I use permethrin.I don't know if you can get it there. No egg withdrawal period. I had an issues with mites and lice in the past. I think the wild birds introduce the pests. I also had a serious issues with flies. When I went out to the coops and work I sweat, and the flies are attracted to sweat. They were terrible. After I sprayed my coops for mites, I also noticed a great reduction of flies. In areas that I don't want to spray I use fly rolls. They help but you have to be very careful where you put then, they are very sticky, You just throw them away. I hope you were able to solve the fly issue. Try Amazon.com. Good luck and have fun...
Thanks for the many tips!! I haven’t yet encountered any lice or mites - just flies in the yard. I’ll try Amazon for some of your ideas.

I get a spray bottle of water and add 5-10 drops of peppermint essential oil and 5-10 drops of lavender (I'm out) so I used Eucalyptus Essential Oil. I spray area where I'm sitting and my exposed arms/legs. It keeps flies mosquitoes etc.... away. There are several different oils that repel pests. Lemongrass-but it makes me itch, so I stay away from it. There are others-google essential oils that repel pests, and try them til you find one that works and a Scent you like.
I also spray coop nightly-it helps with mosquitoes. Not sure how long it lasts but that's what I have used for years.
I do like the idea of natural remedies 😃

I did a home made fly spray which helped but then it attracted the bees, lol. Which my chicken the killed the bee! 🐝

Back
Top Bottom