Aussie new mum FINALLY completes coop

Quote:
Jus, I think it is fine if you don't change the location of that nest box even if you must get down on your knees to collect the eggs.

I had a nest box beside the roost for years and often had to "unlearn" a hen from sleepng in there. Sometimes after months of sleeping on the roost, they'd change to sleeping in the nest
somad.gif

This year, I move the nest box to another location. It wasn't in the perfect location before, it isn't in the perfect location now. (One of the 4 hens hasn't even decided to use it
roll.png
.) I just hope that the distance from the roost discourages them from sleeping in it.

Steve

Hi all
Don't know what I would have done without the BYC members - everyone has helped me through my first chicken adoption and coop purchase. Thanks for all your comments - I feel like my babies are living in a nice environment.
We are in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia and are entering summer which is the other reason for the porch - to provide more shade to the inside of the coop. We've also had some very bad storms (had a 60 ft tree fall on the house last year on top of the room I was in - not good) so that was the main reason for the pavers so it didn't turn into a muddy mess around the coop. We have a pretty self sufficient garden with lots of trees and shade and a few areas where my babies can have dust baths even when it's raining.
Thanks again for your comments.
Jus
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom