Aussie new mum FINALLY completes coop

Aussie new mum

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 21, 2008
Brisbane, Queensland
Hi all
I have added some pictures on photobucket. It is sort of a journey from my purchase of what I thought was a wonderful coop on ebay Australia to realising that it wasn't really well designed and my attempts to fix it. I loved it because it had a second storey room with a ramp leading up to it. This room was obviously meant to be used as the nesting area but there were no perches for sleeping. I tried to put perches in (branches first) but thanks to some advice from BYC members, I found out that chickens like to sleep in the highest darkest place which was the upstairs room. This is after I built a nesting box for 2 for the upstairs room. I put a perch in there and sawdust on the floor as Lolly likes to sleep on the floor and Olivia on a perch. I put the nesting box I bought on the ground under the upstairs room but when I had to lock them in realised they didn't have enough room so thought to hinge the nesting box to the outside and cut an entry to it in the side of the coop. Due to our storm season, I also built shelves for their food and water containers, varnished the coop and added a porch that folds down against the coop for added weather protection. I paved all around the coop as dirt and mud was splashing in with the fierce storms. I hope I have done ok - please let me know if you have any suggestions for improvements. My chickens free range all day most days.
Jus

http://s423.photobucket.com/albums/pp317/justineangel/Coop from start to completion/

You've done a super job, Jus
smile.png
!

It was fun following the photo's to the 2nd page and the completed coop. The porch roof is a good addition.

I was wondering about how easy it is to get into the nest box - down on the knees/both hands sort of thing. But, you say it is "hinged" - so I think you figured that one out, too.
You may not think it started out "well designed" but to use an American baseball term, I think you've covered all the bases
frow.gif

Steve

Hi everyone
Thanks so much for your kind words. For someone who was a parole officer for 15 years and has no experience with tools, it was an experience not soon forgotten. I should have videoed myself teaching myself to use the handsaw, jigsaw and all other necessary tools. There were a few injuries along the way but I am still alive and the chickens are happy. Steve, thanks for your comments - the nesting box is a down on your hands and knees job but at least now I'm kneeling on pavers and I can do it from the outside thank goodness.
Thanks again everyone for looking at my photos.
Jus
xx

Thanks! I bought a similar coop for my son's silkies and it is sitting in the garage yet, not put together. They are only a week old now so I have time yet. I like the nest box idea, though why not put it on the top?

I built the first coop, sort of. Rather I converted half the shed and put up a run but it sure felt like building. It cost so much in the end I decided to just buy one this time. Hopefully it is easy to put together!

Hi Ms Ellen
When you say put the nesting box on top, do you mean cut a hole in the wall of the second storey room and attach the nesting box to that? That way they use that room to sleep then just go into the box to lay? What an excellent idea. I didn't even think of that. I thought I had to keep it completely separate so they didn't sleep in the nesting box. That's a fab idea - a bit late for me to change now but let me know what you end up doing.
Jus

You did great! I think we all could make lists of "what I'd do differently," whether we bought or built our first coops. You really only do learn by reading here and living with the results.

I was so glad for the idea of popped out nest boxes for my coop rebuild. The footprint size I couldn't change - the shed I was converting had cinderblock base. But I could and did pop out a large coop length nest box shelf that opened from outside. It bought me a LOT more space.

I'm still fiddling with feeders, placement and perching as my crew grow up but that's what learning to use all these tools is for.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom