Border Collie or Aussie?

• Total voters

ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
Title basically says it all but I want to know for those of you that have either breed, or even just fans of the breed, which is your favorite and why? And if you have them, what made you choose one breed over the other?

I love all the herding breeds and am considering one of these two breeds for my next dog. It’s between a herding breed or a retriever. If I went with a retriever, it’d be a Golden or Lab. My top two choices right now are probably Aussie or Golden but I love all 4 breeds so it is making it very difficult to decide. :lau

So I’d appreciate any input on either breed or the other two. Good or bad.

I’m also not opposed to mixes if there’s a good blend of any of those breeds or a different breed.

But even if I don’t get either, I just love herding breeds and dogs in general so either way, I’d love a discussion about the pros and cons of both breeds or just pictures/information on your dogs or tips or whatever.

Thank you in advance. :)

I think it all depends on what your plans are and whether you can provide an outlet for that constant need to herd everything.

I remembered today that I used to wake up to my border collie shoving her ball at me. Now I wake up to a big goofy dog with a duck toy in her mouth staring at me. I probably would get exhausted after a bit with the border collie, although here it can go run the fence but that's not what I like from my dogs.

My border collie wanted to herd. My Aussies want to be wherever I am. So it depends what you want out of a dog. I prefer the constant companionship. I just needed to remember the downsides.

Given a choice I would take an Aussie. I have known individuals of both breeds, both as a "friend of" and in my classes, and invariably I have found Aussies to be goofy, calm, laid back, friendly yet protective, and with a nice sense of humor. BC, on the other hand, were just too intense and driven to my taste. They definitely need a job to do and it seemed they would do it to the point of exhaustion. One would certainly wear ME out! It would be like having an ADHD kid on acid! Nope, give me an Aussie any day. In fact, I'll take two, please! ;)

Heelers do seem like good dogs :D

I don’t know if I’d be able to handle one though. I’m sure I probably could but I’ve heard they can be a bit dominant which worries me but I’m sure they would be fine. How are they with other animals? That’s another thing that worries me :oops:

Maybe a good second dog. :) They are headstrong! But if they're your dog, they tend to be stubborn for you. Heelers tend to be good listeners with a never-quit attitude.

It depends on how you raise them! A lot of herding dogs can end up as chicken killers if not brought up to be gentle around other animals. The issue is that ACDs are, well, heelers - this means their herding style is rather aggressive, and their instinct is to put their mouths on whatever they're herding, because that's what they're supposed to do. This can be an issue if you plan on working stock that isn't cattle: a cattle dog's natural instinct is to work close, push, and be firm. The total opposite of a Collie, bred to work far away and softly.

But that can be an issue with Aussies, too! They're also, stylistically, heelers. Honestly, I would really recommend going to a herding event in your area, if at all possible. It'll give you a good idea of what every breed's 'attitude' is like. And if you plan on doing any herding yourself, I would seek out breeders who have the animals you're wanting to work: their dogs will likely have the natural skillset you're looking for.

(Aussie owners cover your eyes! I am about to make you mad!)
:plbb

I think we talked in the other thread, but I unlike many in this thread I would choose a Border Collie hands down over an Aussie.

I have had herding dogs for 25 years...I have owned and fostered a dozen or more BCs.
I have also fostered a few Aussies through a herding dog rescue.

I know a ton of Aussies as they are very popular as pets here. I have several very good friends who I train with regularly who have them, both working type and more show type. They are smart and funny and their owners love them, and I see the appeal.

That said, I would never want one. I find my Border Collies have been easier to train, both basic training and advanced stuff. They figure out a ton of stuff without even really being taught. They are good with rules and order...teaching stuff like respecting boundaries they could easily get over and understanding teh concept of "house toys" and "outside toys" and that I never want a gross outside toy on my couch! I find them calmer in the house (much better off switch), smaller and less hairy and easier to groom. They are better at respecting personal space...my friends dogs slam into me, are right in my face, bounce and knock into furniture. They knock stuff off of tables and one I baby sat nearly knocked my TV off the stand.

They bark way more, and several whine A LOT (kind of makes me nuts). About half are less reliable off lead far longer than my Border Collies have been. And lastly, and not terribly importantly, I find them way more attractive with their tails and their build.

YMMV, my friends with Aussies feel the same way about Border Collies as I do about Aussies. I love Border Collies but honestly never see myself owning an Aussie.

I think that is the problem w many BC - they are so smart they find ways to get in trouble. Easily bored, like a college-level kid in high school. Many owners just can't cope. Great if you can keep up with them!

They do need work to do! It doesn't have to be sheep or even something formal, but they need to be a part of your life, doing stuff like fetching papers and playing games. They tend to develop rituals and decide certain things have specific rules. Its either cute to you, or super annoying. I usually find it cute. But I am a weirdo. :D

But really, Aussies need brain work, too. Any active working breed does.

I went to a herding dog trial. The border collies there were superior to the Australian cattle dogs at herding cattle. They were sharper, faster, more precise and responsive. Our neighbor has one of each. She says the border collie is the smartest dog she's ever had. This could be good or bad, depending on what you want from your dog.
I think if you were to get a border collie, you should make sure it has a job.....

Thanks!! This is very interesting!! I do see there are more and more breeders breeding BC for cattle now. It makes sense because they really are such wonderful dogs and fantastic at their jobs. They just have to breed for a bit more tenacity. Although there are several cross breeds and variations now that seem pretty popular for cattle. Like the McNab, Texas Heeler, etc. I don’t think those have BC though but still. BCs do seem like great dogs. But yes, insanely smart hah Almost like living with a child I imagine :lau

I personally love the thinker type dogs :) love their smarts and watching them work through problems as well as being able to talk to them and/or negotiate. :lau

But they can definitely be a bit of a challenge just in terms of like always testing the boundaries or finding the loopholes in the rules or whatever and getting bored easily but they’re a lot of fun. :)

And oh yeah it would definitely have a job!!

I’m just not sure if it would be enough or I really want a dog that has to work a ton daily.

I love interacting with my dogs and will always do anything to make them happy/wear them out even if it wears me out in the process hah and I love training and teaching new things and tricks and problem solving and all that sort of stuff. So I think I’d be okay with one or at least way better than most owners that get them. And I usually train a ton daily anyway and go for big walks and stuff but it’s just sometimes I might not want to or might want to do less or not feeling well or something. So I think I possibly need a dog that’s a little bit more forgiving. And I think Aussies or Goldens better fit that.

But I also want to try agility and possibly nose work as well as of course tons of tricks and stuff and we also have a huge yard and tons of areas to walk on leash as well as walk/hike/run off leash so even a BC would probably be happy here but I’m not sure I’d be happy living with one. :lau

At the moment I have two Shetland Sheepdogs (Shelties). Gracie, my 10-yo girl, is like the Aussies I described above. Sammy, our 17-mo old pup, a recent addition (rescue), is like the BC I described. I didn't realize it until I went back and re-read it just now, lol! So there are generalities, but each dog is an individual.

Back
Top Bottom