Border Collie or Aussie?

• Total voters
Nope.

Think about farm life: some days its work dawn to dusk. Other days, there's not much to do.

A working dog who can't moderate himself to not be a nuisance when there's not work to do is not useful.

This is not to say they don't need exercise and something to do! But they don't need it all the time. Its not good for any creature to not be able to relax and have down days. Exercise as the only answer to tire out a busy dog will give you a very fit busy dog! They need more brain exercise than just straight physical exercise, and they also need to be taught that sometimes humans are doing other things and they need to chill.

Dogs are remarkable.

I never thought of it that way before!! That makes perfect sense!! Thank you!!

I would suggest a smaller fenced in area that your dogs can be in if you are not paying attention and you can then teach them to stay with you when outside. It takes a while to teach a reliable recall and you sometimes need to just let them out without watching them.

Thanks! Good point. Would definitely be handy having a fenced area. Maybe we’ll fence the backyard and/or the front garden in and leave the huge front yard for when they’re when with me. :D

I have 2 standard aussies, i find their less neurotic than borders. My girlfriend has 2 borders and theyre insane, absolutely need a constant job, dont tire, destructive, etc. My aussies, as much as they love work they can also lay down in the kitchen and relax. They are not neurotic at all, came from a breeder (working lines, not show) both breeds are super smart. My aussies can run horses for hours or enjoy a nice morning off. Great breeds. I think youd be happy either way. Our aussies are for sure loyal to us. If working will stay with us, lounging around the house they need to be tethered or have a fence.

Thanks!! Great info! They really do both seem like great breeds. :)

Libby and Franklin are the same haha they don’t do much alone.

And that’s good to know!! Especially since I’d like to be able to have them off leash. :D

Do you think they necessarily need a fenced yard or can they learn the boundaries??

Cause ours isn’t fenced and while we do plan on fencing part of it if I ever got a dog, I don’t think we could fence the whole thing so they’d have to learn boundaries or at least have a good recall anyway ha
We are country here so no fence here. My dogs learn the boundaries, and a good solid recall. My dogs also aren't out unsupervised for more than a few minutes at most.

8 weeks old teach them to come with tiny bits of hotdogs or chicken. Drill it repeatedly those first few months. Make it happy, never call to punish. I don't punish either way except to change my voice to be more gruff for things like going too far, or nipping.

Of course things like breed can alter that. Hounds are terrible for just wandering off. Aussies and border collie shouldn't.

We are country here so no fence here. My dogs learn the boundaries, and a good solid recall. My dogs also aren't out unsupervised for more than a few minutes at most.

8 weeks old teach them to come with tiny bits of hotdogs or chicken. Drill it repeatedly those first few months. Make it happy, never call to punish. I don't punish either way except to change my voice to be more gruff for things like going too far, or nipping.

Of course things like breed can alter that. Hounds are terrible for just wandering off. Aussies and border collie shouldn't.

Thanks!! Very helpful!! :D

Our Lab used to roam all over the neighborhood although of course my dad let him :rolleyes:

But still.

You’d call him and he’d stop and turn to look at you and then just keep going LOL like “screw you” :lau:th

The Pyr mix too.

Hoping for something that wants to listen lol

I've always kept female dogs. I think males are more prone to wandering. Neutering is supposed to put an end to the urge, but I don't have enough experience with males. My females I always spay before the first heat.

I've always kept female dogs. I think males are more prone to wandering. Neutering is supposed to put an end to the urge, but I don't have enough experience with males. My females I always spay before the first heat.

My males have always been so co-dependent and attached to me I can't leave the room without them much less having them wander off!

In Border Collies, my experience is females are more independent. But they are not prone to wandering off either gender.

Back
Top Bottom