Austrailian Shellduck

rgn87

Songster
9 Years
Mar 17, 2010
Georgia
I was looking on e-fowl and saw this duck and I gotta say this is one beautiful duck. I mean if you haven't seen one yet you need to check it out. The colors are so awesome. I was wondering if anyone had one?

I see them at our local zoo. Which is Little Rock, AR. They have some that are outside year round, and some in a greenhouse aviary. Both groups seem to do fine. So I am sure they would be fine outside year round in the south. Trick is finding some - I was looking for them awhile back. You can find them, but they are really expensive. So we gave up on that idea
wink.png

be warned, all shelducks are to be kept in pair only pens away from all other ducks as they can and are very aggressive, though beautiful.
In the sticky section of the duck threads, I have a migratory/ornamental waterfowl thread going. It out lines all the care and requirements for all these types of waterfowl. Shelducks are also burrow nesters in the wild, so they do best if given buried nesting boxes. They are a tropical species, so southern climates are perfect for all species in this group, northern climates do bare watching in the hardest part of winter
There are quite a few breeders that keep these, though for the money, I'd go with radjah, ruddy, european, or even paradise shelducks. Caped shelducks are also nice, but a bit pricey again. I have kept all these over the years and really love them all, like I said, the only draw back is, they pretty much all need to be kept per pair in individual pens. The only exception would be the common, european ones, they can be kept in mixed collections of larger species, but not teal.

Back
Top Bottom