Australia

How funny the world is!
Im in Australia.Wombat NSW to be exact.
Just found this sight so obviously now the housework will never get done.
I breed Barnevelders in 3 colours, have Blue Orpingtons with Black due to hatch on the weekend as well as Light Barred Plymoth Rocks due the same time.

looking forward to learning more chookie info everyday.

Over here in the USA...if you call a chicken a chook they have no idea what you are talking about...

So a chook raffle, bbq chook, chook run etc have no meaning. Shame!

tongue.png

It's good to see other Aussies on here! I'm from West Wyalong, which is about a short jump from Cowra and a slightly bigger one to Bathurst - although I'm from England and have onbly lived Down Under for three years. I'm just embarking on my first chooks and can't wait.
D.gif

Quote:
I beg to differ, the terminology may be different in areas but it's familiar to many. Of course my friends in Australia aren't familiar with many American euphamisms, so turn about is fair play I guess. Perhaps we should implement a dictionary that has the meanings from several countries in list format?
Chicken - Chook - Biddie?

Welcome to the forum, and don't plan on getting much work done! You'll be on here more often. I'd love to see the turkeys.
kat

Hi there everyone,
My name is Michelle, and I live way up north in tropical Darwin.
We are just coming up to our wet season, and it is extremely hot and humid here at present. I have had laying chooks for about 9 years, but recently decided to breed and hopefully show in the future. The breeds I have just aquired ( hatched) are : Faverolles large and bantam, Sussex Light large and bantam, S/L and G/l Wyandotte, bantam wyandotte, partridge wyandotte large, Millies, Modern Game, Indian Game, Araucanas, RIR, and of course my delightful little blue and buff Pekins. I am forever building new and larger yards!!! Just finished one today actually and am very pooped!!
Most of my purebreds are between 6 and 20 weeks old. I can't wait for them to grow up so I know exactly what sexes I have.
I also have a wonderful boy-friend of 9 years, an 18 year old son, 8 dogs, 2 goats, and a Brahman steer named Bro. We run boarding kennels because I love animals so much. We also have a cattery.
Anyway thats enough about me. Welcome to other new BYC members, and hope we can all help each other in one way or another.
Cheers,
Michelle.

g'day all, nice to see Aussie's catching up for a yarn on a American site!
I'm from cranbourne, Vic about 1/2 hr from Melbourne as the crow fly's.
i see everyone on this thread is from all over down under! it's a big land and it is beautifull!

Wow this is great. Another Aussie here too! I grew up in Victoria and moved to the States 17 years ago. I try to get back to OZ every couple of years to visit all my family. We ususally end up at Bribie Island in QLD where my Grandfather lives.

My sister lives in Cairns and most of my family is spread out through Vic.

Cheers!

Shazz ( who is craving a pie and sauce so bad it's not funny )

Back
Top Bottom